ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotobrush weirdness or is it me?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon sendall
Rotobrush weirdness or is it me?
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:38:54 pm

Ok, having a little hair pulling out problem here with the new rotobrush tool.

I have a still which I imported and rotobrushed. It's for a projection mapping project in beta mode. So rotobrush works fine, got all the parameters working well but then it only seemed to roto the first frame so I thought ok, lets generate some video of the still frame and then roto that. So I did that and rotobrushed again. Exactly the same problem. It only ever generates the rotobrush over the first frame. So I then exported a .mov file of the alpha channel and decided to freeze frame the first frame (my only frame!) over ten seconds and then export that. Guess what, even in Premier Pro it only ever generated the image/alpha in the first frame. How can the problem expand over into PP from AE. Am I missing something very basic that I'm going to be embarrassed about very soon?

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Rotobrush weirdness or is it me?
on Sep 9, 2010 at 6:54:13 pm

I'm confused.

You've used Roto Brush on a still image and then... what? If you've got an alpha channel for a still image, what are you trying to do on multiple frames?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

jon sendall
Re: Rotobrush weirdness or is it me?
on Sep 9, 2010 at 11:14:36 pm

Yeah I know sounds weird but what I am doing is creating an alpha channel which then will have moving images projected through it live. The still is being used purely as an edge guide for the matte. So what I did was run a still frame alpha over ten seconds of prores 422. But when I exported the alpha only lasted one frame then just went black. This happened on AE and PP. I'm now doing the alpha's in Photoshop and then exporting them into AE which seems to work but I wanted to try and stay in AE for speed. It seemed whenever I tried to run the roto over even a video of a still I ran into problems. If the alpha is a non moving alpha then perhaps the roto starts to have problems as there is nothing to estimate mathematically. Anyway sorted for the mo but in the future would like to know if there is something about roto over a still that creates a problem?

Story, not pixels.

JPSendall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]