ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AVID to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Carmichael
AVID to After Effects
on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:22:33 am

Hello. I am trying to get from AVID 5.0.3 on a Mac to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2.42) on a different Mac.

I have Premiere CS4 (4.2.1) at my disposal on the Mac that has AE, but it crashes every time I try to import an .aaf.

The unfortunate limitations are,

-I can't export an EDL from Avid, because apparently I would need an "EDL manager," which the director's system does not have. (She's the one with Avid, I'm the one with CS4.)

-According to this article, .aaf import is only supported for Windows. This would explain why Premiere crashes every time I try to import an .aaf.

Anyone. Any ideas. I will do anything, up to and including writing things on your fb wall that make you seem awesome.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: AVID to After Effects
on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:57:45 am

Unless I'm missing something, you could export to QT animation. Work well if the computers are networked. If the animation ends up too big for a DVD, you'll have to break it up then just piece it together head to tail in AE.

If you have the avid codec on your AE machine, you can save some space, by exporting to a quicktime and choosing the avid codec..

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:28:55 am

You might try Automatic Duck's Pro Import AE, which will allow you to import Avid or FCP timelines into After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:32:02 am

Agree with Walter. There may be some clever multi-step work-around, but people who have to get work done use Automatic Duck for that.

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/piae/

JM

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:59:40 pm

Thanks so much, guys, but if I had Automatic Duck that's what I would use!

I should have added inability to afford automatic duck as one of the unfortunate limitations.

John, the issue is that I want to get the PROJECT with its edits into AE, not just the exported, edited sequence.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:15:15 pm

It's been a long time since I've used an AVID, but if I recall correctly, the EDL Manager is included with the software, but not installed by default. Your producer may have to go back to her discs or download package and look for the installer.

The Duck is the gold standard, but if it's not doable, you might be stuck with EDLs. Just be aware that EDLs can be finicky. You may spend more billable time sorting out the EDL and media in Premiere than it would cost to get Automatic Duck.

Another option would be to simply export individual shots from the AVID, apply effects in AE, render, and reimport and replace in AVID. Depending on what work you need to do, this may be simpler and should make your finishing easier. After Effects is great for working on single shots, but it has no conforming or editing tools, so it's a lousy finishing solution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Ezzy
on Apr 5, 2011 at 6:18:49 pm

Emily,

Have you tried Boris XML Transfer? There's a free trial!

http://www.borisfx.com/XML-Transfer/

-Paul

pezzy@borisfx.com

-Paul E.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]