ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD to SD Centercut ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robyn RhodesHD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 8:25:13 pm

Howdy,

So I'm creating a spot in 1080p which needs to be SD Centercut safe.

My test to establish weather or not my HD will work with SD centercut is to...

...drop my 1080p comp inside of 720x534 comp and scale it down to 49.5%. If it's all good inside there, it's all good...right?

Thanks as always,

Robyn

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: HD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 8:28:30 pm

if you don't mind a smaller size, sure that works. Also AE has a 4:3 title safe overlay, just stick all your elements within its borders and you're good to go.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: HD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 10:14:00 pm

You mean AE has 4:3 title safe overlay in 16x9 comps? If this is what you mean, I've read that the 4:3 overlay is not sized correctly in AE (CS4 is what I am using btw).

Does anyone know how they actually Center-cut HD to SD when they broadcast. Are there two different broadcasts? Or is it done by the Television set which receives the signal?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: HD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:43:25 am

Yes, the center-cut guides in After Effects CS4 were wrong. You can make your own using guide layers, etc.

Correct values: The center-cut action-safe margin is 32.5% (16.25% on each side), and the center-cut title-safe margin is 40% (20% on each side).

In After Effects CS4, the default center-cut action-safe margin was 30%, and the default title-safe margin was 35%.

See this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2010 at 5:26:11 pm

Can anyone answer Yes, or No to this directly?

My test to establish weather or not my HD will work with SD centercut is to...

...drop my 1080p comp inside of 720x534 comp and scale it down to 49.5%. If it's all good inside there, it's all good...right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 5:53:14 pm

[Robyn Rhodes] "...drop my 1080p comp inside of 720x534 comp and scale it down to 49.5%. If it's all good inside there, it's all good...right?"

It's tough to give you a direct answer. We don't know if the graphics in your 1080 comp are within title safe for 4x3.

720x 534 is a VERY odd SD resolution for either PAL or NTSC. I don't know where you got that from. So I tell you what:
  • Create an SD comp appropriate to what you're required to deliver, PAL or NTSC, in the resolution you're required to deliver; there are two for NTSC, so be careful.
  • Drop your 1080 comp into this SD comp. Don't worry about mixing pixel aspect ratios, AE knows how to handle them.
  • Highlight this newly-added layer, then navigate to Layer>Transform>Scale, and scale the layer to fit vertically; the layer should also scale horizontally in direct proportion.
  • Now you can scrub through the comp to see if your graphics fit between the SD comp's Title Safe and Action Safe guides. If they do, you're good to go. If not, you'll have to tweak things in the 1080 comp

If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do.

I personally face a slightly different situation. I make 720P spots for broadcast, which get center-punched for 4x3 SD broadcast. To help me in my AE work, I just made my own guide. In a 960x720 square-pixel comp, I made a 40% opacity solid, upon which I duplicated the lines of Title Safe, Action Safe and Center. I rendered an alpha-channeled still.

Now I just drop it into a 720p comp use it as a reference. Works like a charm. No complaints yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2010 at 6:14:53 pm

Hi Dave,

The NTSC D1 Square Pixel comp size in AE CS4 is 720x534 revised from 720x540 Square pixel. Supposedly it's more accurate or something. I read about it a while ago but can't remember specifics. When I work in SD, I work in NTSC D1 Square Pixel because you can nest this comp, and please correct me if I'm wrong, in a NTSC D1 or NTSC DV. And I like to work in square pixels because it makes everything easier.

Your suggestion for what to do is exactly what I did. Dropping the 1080p comp into the SD comp as I have stated, and scaling to 49.5 percent, scales the 1080p layer to fit perfectly in the vertical aspect in the SD comp. All my graphics were kosher in there. I am going to consider your response as an "Affirmative" to my inquiry, if you're cool with that.

Thanks,

Robyn

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD to SD Centercut ?
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 6:17:37 pm

If the client's happy, so am I.

I used to do like you do, working exclusively in square pixels. Then I realized I was simply making more work for myself, and the quality of the image wasn't any better.
I also came to realize that AE does a great job of compensating for the pixel aspect ratios of standard resolutions, so there wasn't a whole lot of need to work in square pixels very often.

Now I only work in square pixels if I need to make something like a circular mask on video footage and rotate that footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]