ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing Frame Size of Finished Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monica NolanChanging Frame Size of Finished Animation
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 10:21:17 pm

I created an animation in AE CS4 using primarily photoshop & illustrator files and a little HD movie footage, 1920x1280 square 30fps. My comp settings were: 1280x720 square.

I didn't get the output specs (bad mistake, rush job) and I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be asked for a 1920x1280 output.

Is there a way to a) get this size at decent quality without changing the comp settings? or b) are there any shortcuts to readjusting animation key frames when you change comp size?

Also, how does one choose a frame rate when the comp consists primarily of animated artwork? what difference does 29.97, 30, 23.98, 24 make? I'm basing my fps off the movie source footage at this point.

The client is asking for a DVD and a movie file. It will be played at a trade show of some sort (not sure which they will use).

Thanks!

Monica
Mac OS X on Quadcore Intel
Compressor, FCP Studio 2
CS4

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Changing Frame Size of Finished Animation
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:46:15 am

[Monica Nolan] "I created an animation in AE CS4 using primarily photoshop & illustrator files and a little HD movie footage, 1920x1280 square 30fps. My comp settings were: 1280x720 square. I didn't get the output specs (bad mistake, rush job) and I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be asked for a 1920x1280 output."

I assume you mean 1920x1080.

You can duplicate your comp, then run File > Scripts > Scale Composition. You can set the width to 1920. The script will preserve your original aspect ratio and automatically adjust all your elements to match the new size.

A major caveat: if the resolution of your footage is less than the new resolution, it will be upscaled and appear soft. Since your original video was 1920x1080, this may not be a concern. Hopefully all your Photoshop elements are large enough. Illustrator elements should probably have continuous rasterization on.

[Monica Nolan] "Also, how does one choose a frame rate when the comp consists primarily of animated artwork? what difference does 29.97, 30, 23.98, 24 make? I'm basing my fps off the movie source footage at this point."

The frame rate you work in (and the resolution) depends entirely on the deliverable specs. Like you said above, starting work without knowing what you'll be responsible for delivering is a mistake that can cause all kinds of headaches later.

[Monica Nolan] "The client is asking for a DVD and a movie file. It will be played at a trade show of some sort (not sure which they will use)."

You'll need to get more information from your client here. For a DVD deliverable, a 1920x1080 comp won't be necessary; in fact, you'll have to scale your 720p comp down. As for the movie file, you should try to find out the specs: resolution, frame rate, container, codec, and bit rate.

The resolution will probably be decided by the monitor they're using. With any luck, it'll be a 720p monitor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Monica NolanRe: Changing Frame Size of Finished Animation
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 7:02:11 pm

Wow--thank you, thank you. This worked like a charm.

I'm working with nested comps, and I see the subcomps remain unaffected (still 1280x720). There's no reason to go in and scale up each comp individually, is there? And do I need to make sure rasterized is checked for the subcomps or the individual elements or both?

I think I may have a resolution issue here or there but this is a huge timesaver. Which is good because I talked to the client finally and HE doesn't have the information about how it will ultimately be played, and so wants it output a bunch of different ways to be on the safe side.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]