ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

render log and lin simultaneously?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Dupsta
render log and lin simultaneously?
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:41:11 pm

I am wondering if there is a trick to render out one stream of Log and one stream of lin files through the same render. Two separate image sequences. One log one lin
Maybe a trick in the output module color management option?. It would save me a step.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: render log and lin simultaneously?
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:54:18 pm

[Anthony Dupsta] "I am wondering if there is a trick to render out one stream of Log and one stream of lin files through the same render. Two separate image sequences. One log one lin"

If you want to make multiple separate outputs from the same comp without re-rendering a second time, you can cheat with proxies.

Let's say you're working in a comp name WORKING COMP. Drag and drop that on the New Comp button, and rename the new comp ALTERNATE RENDER. Create a proxy for WORKING COMP, using Best Settings and your first output module. Add ALTERNATE RENDER to the Render Queue, making sure to Use All Proxies in the Render Settings. Set your second output module and render.

When the first render (WORKING COMP) completes, the second comp (ALTERNATE RENDER) will begin rendering. Instead of re-rendering each individual frame in WORKING COMP (nested within ALTERNATE RENDER) from scratch, After Effects will read from the rendered proxy on disk. For this reason, the first render should be a lossless format.

The two renders will run back-to-back, without any user intervention required. Make sure to turn WORKING COMP's proxy off (or remove it entirely) if you need to make revisions. If you need to make more than two renders, you could duplicate ALTERNATE RENDER in your render queue and change output settings as many times as required.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2010 at 1:33:34 pm

Hi, Walter....

Since I never have to mess with exotic color handling, I have a question about your example above:
would it accomplish the same thing if you were to add the Working Comp to the Render Queue, then use the Add Output Module command?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 8, 2010 at 1:38:39 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "would it accomplish the same thing if you were to add the Working Comp to the Render Queue, then use the Add Output Module command?"

Yup!

Anthony, please disregard my long-winded post -- Dave's method is the solution!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:18:20 pm

Actually Walter I think you hit it on the head for me. I am embarrassed I did not think of that. I was hoping for something a little cleaner like the output module, but for now dup comps will work fine.
Again,my challenge was to render a lin and log comp at the same time.
So I would indeed need to create two dup comps one lin, one log. I don't think Just adding an output module will work, as that would be to simple,clean and perfect.

To back track, I just want to avoid having to render a sequence in LOG, than take the step to covert it to lin later. I would prefer to set up one render that will create my hi res log image sequence, than a second baking out my proxy lin sequence. Simultaneously!

I would love if the output module would do this, but it doesn't.

Dup comps, or proxy comps to save render time. got it! Thanks Walter

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:23:43 pm

[Anthony Dupsta] "I would prefer to set up one render that will create my hi res log image sequence, than a second baking out my proxy lin sequence."

That's why I asked Walter that question: he knows more about hi-res & log-lin stuff than I do. But apparently, adding an output module in the Render Queue does the trick: render once, encode twice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:36:22 pm

[Anthony Dupsta] "I would love if the output module would do this, but it doesn't."

I think it can. Add an output module with a DPX sequence, then check out the Cineon Settings:

Set these just as you would the Cineon Converter effect, and unless I'm missing something, you should be able to render lin and log DPX sequences using two output modules as Dave suggested.

And thank you, Dave, for teaching me about a feature I've never used before.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:56:34 pm

YES YES YES YES

This is it!

The Log conversion check box is the key! Indeed it will do the conversion instead of needing to use the cineon converter. Without it I would need to manipulate to diff comps. I hope the math is the same on the conversion. Thank you this was the ticket, just did a test and I can truly do one render and two encodes. Log and lin simultaneous renders!
Thank you both
Cheers
Anthony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]