ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering FAILURE - Assistance please.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco GalárragaRendering FAILURE - Assistance please.
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 4:33:50 pm

Hello first of all, the tech details: I'm using After Effects CS5, Adobe Premiere CS5. My Comp is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and I have 6 gigs of DDR3 Ram. I'm also using an INTEL i7 920 processor. I have about 50 gigs free on the primary drive, and about 100 gigs free on my secondary drive (where I put the cache in).

So let me explain the situation: I have this not too complex project set up. I imported a project from Premiere, and it autocreates a composition of all that I edited in there (which is about 2:15 minutes long). To this new comp, I added some normal color correction effects. I also added effects to individual film sections of the imported comp as well. I also made another comp called "ANIMACION LOGO" that has some pretty simple effects on, like text disappearing into a mask, a logo turning around it's axis or doing a 360 rotation, etc. Pretty simple stuff actually. All this was added to the "supercomp" named "TODO", which also has some individual effects of it's own, as well as some text layers that dissapear/reappear, etc. RAM Preview works fine by the way. Here is a pic of the project:

When I try to render the whole thing though, to final output so I can upload to VIMEO, in 720p, I would get this message.

Since I'm using an output preset I made for VIMEO HD, I thought it was just maybe a prob with that. But no, no other rendering works at all. It would seems it starts rendering for a few seconds, then I hear the "render complete" noise. As you might have imagined the output file that's created is a useless low-kb-size piece of junk. In fact, the Vimeo HD one is the only output setting that gives me an error message at all! So please help guys, since I need to get this rendered ASAP. I tried googling for the problem, but nothing would show up, not here, or worse, the Adobe community forums.

One more thing. Rendering DOES work. I tried rendering the individual comp called "AVER", and it worked perfectly - it only had the effects i applied to the individual segments I mentioned before. But when I want the comp called "TODO" to render, and it just won't! Please help!

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Francisco G.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering FAILURE - Assistance please.
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 4:46:23 pm

A few thing come to mind:

I am amazed that you would even dare posting a file name like that. Since it's an mp3 file, and you can NOT use mp3's in AE, you can change the file name as you change it to a wav file.

Second, you may think 6GB is a lot of memory. It is not much at all for After Effects. You need to turn off multiprocessing, you need to turn it off now, and you have to leave it off until you get at least 12 GB memory on your machine.

Third, you shouldn't render to an mp4. It is an unwise choice. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Francisco GalárragaRe: Rendering FAILURE - Assistance please.
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 4:54:18 pm

Hey David! Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about the file name, to be honest I didn't think about it much. I'll change it like right now. I also disabled multiprocessing, but I kinda think that won't help much. A couple of things thing: How do I just render the file, so AE won't compress it? And another one: in an earlier project, last week, I used the same MP3 file, and rendering worked out fine... is the no MP3 rule a must for all projects?

Thanks for your time once again!

Best regards,
Francisco G.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2010 at 5:04:45 pm

I tried using the PRE-RENDER option, instead of Make Movie, at default settings: (Render Settings: Best Settings / Output module: Custom:AVI), and it only would render a 1 sec long black screen. What did I mess up??

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering FAILURE - Assistance please.
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 5:48:06 pm

Do you have a work area set?

Also, you should be using the Render Queue instead of Make Movie. It offers a lot more control over your output.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:21:52 pm

Hey Walter Soyka.
Thanks for the help. The work area was correctly set. For some reason, when I pressed MAKE MOVIE, it would send me to the render qeue, and I would change the settings accordingly. Anyways right now I'm starting to only use the render queue, just in case.

After hours of scouting the internet for a solution I gave up. I decided to remake the AE project from scratch. Thankfully it's mostly a copy/paste procedure. I spent all afternoon tweaking stuff up, and when I tried to render, it worked normally, with all the effects i put in originally. It seems that for some reason the older AE project became corrupt or something. Later I'll post a link to the vimeo gallery so guys can check out the final "product".

Thanks for the input people! Much appreciated!.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:03:50 am

Here is the product people: .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved