video preview from after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan hardiker
video preview from after effects
on Sep 6, 2010 at 10:01:51 am

Hello,

CS3 Mac Pro

Im previewing in after effects onto a sony PVM SD monitor via my Black magic HD decklink extreme 3 card.
It previews and I can see my work in real time.

The problem is that the video and any graphics look really blocky, almost as if you can see the fields even
when playing the graphics have a horrible blocky edge.

I am previewing at 'more accurate'

Can anyone tell me why this is occuring.

thanks,
Neil

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: video preview from after effects
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:34:32 am

there may be a discrepancy between the frame size of the comp and the frame size that the card works with natively...

i had an older decklink card and it would show artifacts with sd comps if they were not 720x486 -- both 720x480 or 720x540 would show jaggy edges on my broadcast monitor.

if you don't see the jaggies in ae's preview window you should be fine.

if you are seeing the jaggies in the ae window, then it may be either the resolution for the preview window is not set to 'full' (maybe set to 'half'), or the pixel aspect ration correction option is on (looks like a rectangle with an arrow above it). in cs3, that option give a 'quick and dirty' preview, that can look rather poor.

there is a hack to the preference file that can fix that, or you can find a script called 'throttle' at aescripts.com that includes that override option.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

neil hetherington
on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:53:57 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, its not a quality issue as I have been using AE for many years and and pretty used to the many quality setting that this wonderful program has.

I had a bit of a play with the settings and have actually solved the problem, its a little un orthodox but if I turn my preview settings from PAL RGB (standard def) to one of the HD options, in this case I am about to start a project using 1080 i footage then the problems disappears and my graphics look great again.

So I imported an SD file which looks awful with the output mode at PAL RGB but once I switch to a HD option the standard definition video file looks great again.

I can not explain it but Im happy with what im seeing on the monitor now and confident enough to show the output to people without fear of them saying 'why does it look so crap?' without me being able to explain.

Do you have any ideas?

thanks for your advise..

Best

Neil

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 9, 2010 at 9:01:00 pm

you might want to make sure you have the latest drivers from blackmagic.

but i would think that if you had sd footage in an sd comp and an sd preview option selected for the decklink card and all the sd settings were d1 standard, then you should get a good preview...

unless, perhaps the monitor only displays 1080...

you might also try to contact blackmagic support on this if you continue to have problems.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

neil hetherington
on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:41:23 am

Thanks for your advise Kevin.

will take on board

neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>