ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change speed of text decoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul MoehamChange speed of text decoder
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 3:02:04 am

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the speed of the text decoder. I'm trying to speed up how fast the characters appear.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 4:52:21 am

What are you referring to as the 'text decoder'? Are you referring to a text animation preset? If so, you can change the speed of an animation by either changing the keyframe values or moving the keyframes closer together or farther apart.

This is a rather basic animation question. It might help if you begin here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Paul MoehamRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 6:07:34 am

I'm referring to the "Decoder Fade In" animation. I applied it to a text but I want it to go through the letters faster.

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 1:38:43 pm

Todd wrote:
"you can change the speed of an animation by either changing the keyframe values or moving the keyframes closer together or farther apart."

Question for Paul: Have you tried doing any of this?
Possible Answers:
A. No. I'm a lazy person.
B. What's a keyframe ?
C. I've been spoon fed my while life. A shove in the right direction is never enough.
D. My counselor says I'm failing to live up to my potential.
E. I have use AE for class credits, even though I hate it.

Return to posts index

Paul MoehamRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 4:14:16 pm

Thanks Todd Kopriva. Moving the keyframes in the range selector helped. I am relatively new to After Effects so it took me a while to figure this out.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:38:16 pm

As you're not that familiar with After Effects, I highly suggest you start here. It's a great bunch of resources collected specifically for people like you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Angel NavarreteRe: Change speed of text decoder
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:52:48 pm

I know this thread is old and people don't like having old threads restarted. I'm posting here because I was going to ask the same question that Paul did. After reading a few of the responses though, thought better of it.

While I don't care for how some of the responses were written, these posters make valid points. There is information and tutorials out there that discuss this issue (and others); even if many don't seem to be discussing or showing the 'exact' end effect your looking for. It's best to try and find the answer on your own at first, using the tools available to you. If after you've done this and you truly can't find the answer, post your questions.

Meanwhile, after looking and playing around a little in After Effects with the 'Decoder Fade In' animation preset, I finally found the 'keyframe editor' (which isn't what it's called in the drop+down list). Paul found his answer, but didn't share where he found it (or post a link to where the fix/video for this exact issue was). I'm posting here to tell anyone else that might be having trouble finding this area, because I didn't enjoy having to sift through information and videos that took me away from my project. I realize this encourages bad behavior by "spoon feeding" people answers, but I'm hopeful and naive enough to think that many of you new to After Effects; with this same question, have tried looking for this information and just couldn't find it, or didn't understand what to look for.

Here's where to look for the 'keyframe animation editor' field (aka: Range Selector 1 for this purpose):

If you have a text box and have already dropped the 'Decoder Fade In' animator preset in, select it (make sure the layer isn't locked).
Look in the drop+down fields of your main Composition Work Area or Effect Controls info panel (mine only shows up in the main comp drop+down area ... forgotten how to fix that).
You should see:

Text
Source Text
Path Options
More Options
Animator 1 < This is where you want to go ...
Transform

Click the 'Animator 1' drop+down, from here another drop+down list shows presets and sliders you can adjust:

Animator 1
Range Selector 1 < This is where you want to go ...
Opacity
Character Alignment
Character Range
Character Offset

Click on 'Range Selector 1'; notice you have another drop+down menu:

Range Selector 1
Start < This is where you can do your keyframe edits.
End
Offset
Click the stopwatch to get the little diamond, keyframes and place them where you want to start the animation, end it, or control how fast the 'Decode Fade In' animation fades in.

I hope this information helps you, but as other posters have said. It's best to sit and go through the tutorials first. It sucks because it's taking you away from your project, but in the end it's better because you should have obtained a better understanding of why/how you're doing things in the AE environment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]