ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

venetian blinds

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sigrun Lydsdottirvenetian blinds
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:45:54 pm

I need to make venetian blinds change the view out of a window. So basically what I mean is, that we are looking out a window at a sunny view then turn the blinds to see a wintery view... so you actually don´t see the blinds only the views changing...

it needs to look totally "realistic" or real, so with shadows and all on the blinds

don´t know if it is best to film blinds and some how change them out for the view or if there is a way to make this effect real in after effects?

anybody know what is best to do?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: venetian blinds
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 3:00:50 pm

Do this in a 3D application, not After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: venetian blinds
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:01:52 am

Dave's right, to get the HDRI reflections and raytracing of the blinds, you'll need 3dmax or Maya with with v-ray sun(which in my opinion is the closest thing you can get to photorealism).

AE can only fake reflections as being upside down, and certainly can't create 3-D landscape environments. It's only a compositing tool, after all. Now if you have both footages and are content to settle for un-photorealistic blinds, you can use AE.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: venetian blinds
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:52:08 am

I had another thought. You could shoot real blinds in front of a large greenscreen, then simply key some footage in with light wrap. Then use the blinds as a displacement map or shadow overlay for the actual footage.

Return to posts index

Sigrun LydsdottirRe: venetian blinds
by on Sep 6, 2010 at 9:49:14 am

Thanks for the response... I think I´ll try the green screen real blinds first, it was something along the lines I was thinking... the director on this project is mega analog, and doesn´t like using 3D, so I think I can convince him using this method..

thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved