ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Dealing with Keyframes in the Graph editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan MackintoshDealing with Keyframes in the Graph editor
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:28:24 am

Hi Guys,

Just a question about an issues I'm having re: keyframing in after effects - mostly around working with them in graph editor to get the timing right...

I've laid down a whole load of keyframes to make a series of camera movements over my composition. These are dealing with the position of the camera as well as its point of view. Quite a lot of the time I get issues where 'phantom' movements occur between the keyframes I put with the camera point of interest (and sometimes with the actual camera position). Its almost like the there's a loop of excess line on the graph line that spikes up between the keyframes, and no matter what I do to the keyframes before and after, it won't go away.

With the actual position of the camera you can separate the dimensional values out so you can manipulate the bezier angles and shape the curve - but for the life of me, I've looked at how you could do this with the point of interest, but doesn't seem to work.

Is there something blatantly simple I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Dealing with Keyframes in the Graph editor
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 1:23:51 pm

Sounds like a keyframe interpolation issue ... right click on the keyframes in question and try changing their interpolation method to linear. If that does eliminates the unwanted motion, it is an interpolation issue ... you may have to reset the keyframes using linear interpolation, then change the interpolation to whatever you may want (bezier, etc.). Note, if I recall correctly, there's a preferences setting that says something like "always make initial keyframe interpolation linear" ... you may need that on, then change keyframe interpolation as needed.

Another thing to check is that you don't have extra keyframes one frame apart from the ones you intend to have, which can happen easily and can be impossible to see without zooming all the way in.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Dealing with Keyframes in the Graph editor
by on Sep 5, 2010 at 11:07:32 pm

See this page:
"FAQ: Why does my layer (camera) move back and forth between keyframes of e...

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Nathan MackintoshRe: Dealing with Keyframes in the Graph editor
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:42:15 pm

Thanks for your help guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved