ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shrinking and stretch keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke McFaddenShrinking and stretch keyframes
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:14:29 pm

I'm having trouble using the "opt click" method of shrinking keyframes.

I've got several text layers, each with position, scale, and orientation keyframes. I've got my animation just how I want it... other than it takes to long, about 15 seconds. I'd like to shrink all the keyframes to 10 seconds.

I swear when I first selected all the keyframes, it would allow me to shrink them all, but I can't get it to work anymore. If I select all the keyframes from one layer element (scale or position), then I can "opt" shrink them. But it wont let me do it for all three, scale, position, and orientation on that one layer, let alone all of my layers (6 total layers).

I really feel like I was able to do them all at once, but then something changed and I can't anymore. Any thoughts?

Is there another way to shrink all of the selected keyframes of multiple layers?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Shrinking and stretch keyframes
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:23:44 pm

Adjust the keyframes on ONE PROPERTY AT A TIME. Happiness ensues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luke McFaddenRe: Shrinking and stretch keyframes
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:30:31 pm

Yeah, that's going to be overly annoying, especially when it seemed to have worked before.

I've got 24 things to shrink then, rather than doing everything at once.

Other options or suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Shrinking and stretch keyframes
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 8:32:28 pm

I set keyframes as you explained and it worked fine for me.

Would you be able to nest the comp and just use time remapping?

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Cory FatulaRe: Shrinking and stretch keyframes
by on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:48:21 pm
Last Edited By Cory Fatula on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:19:04 pm

I know this Thread is very old, but I arrived here just today. Because I was well aware of the keyframe stretch feature, and use it now and then. But this morning I could not get it to work! frustrating to say the least.

Even tried closing AE, and re-launching in case my keyboard was glitching. Anyway I noticed some specific behavior about the feature. It seems like you HAVE to grab the full span of keyframes, no matter how many layers you highlight at once. In other words the very beginning keyframe, and the very end.

You can see in my screen-grab. Originally I was trying to Alt+Drag on the outer-most keyframe on Layer (Color-4). Which at a quick glance glance seemed like the furthest keyframe. But the feature would not work AT ALL. Wasn't until I grabbed the true outer-most keyframe on layer (Color-6), then alt+dragged and the feature worked again. : )

Was interesting to me, so hopefully it helps someone else out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved