ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't find old tutorial

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TL Westgate
Can't find old tutorial
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:55:44 pm

I recall a tutorial here that dealt with motion and/or time remapping. The comp in use had a blue background and used the Cow logo. Part of it addressed a shearing artifact and how to correct for that.

I'm doing some time remapping with high shutter speed footage and getting bad ghosting. That old tutorial came to mind and I think some of the principles in it may help. But I don't remember what it was called, and can't seem to find it.

Any help?

-- TL

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can't find old tutorial
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:29:03 pm

[TL Westgate] "I'm doing some time remapping with high shutter speed footage and getting bad ghosting. "

Oooh, when I hear the terms "high shutter speed" and "time remapping" in the same breath, a BIG red flag goes up. Are you by any chance trying to achieve slow motion? If so, you went about it the wrong way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

TL Westgate
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:36:27 pm

The footage was given to me. And if this won't work, I'll just tell them to reshoot.

-- TL

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:43:05 pm

Andrew Kramers "Frame Rate Converter" Tutorial is what you remember.

Return to posts index

TL Westgate
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:55:00 pm

[Chris Buttacoli] "Andrew Kramers "Frame Rate Converter" Tutorial is what you remember."

Yep, that was it. Thanks.

-- TL

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:53:14 pm

Glad to hear they can reshoot. The trick to slo-mo, as I'm sure you're aware, is to shoot at a high frame rate, and play back at a lower frame rate.

If you work in a 23.976 fps comp, footage shot at 59.94 fps automatically will be 2 1/2 times slower when conformed to 23.976 in AE, no further massaging necessary. It'll look great.

So I guess the question is, "How slow do you want this slo-mo to be?"

Do you seek super slo-mo, like seeing a tight shot of an apple as a bullet flies through it?
Do you seek mild slo-mo, like overcranking film, the process of which is described above?

It'll make a difference in your planning. Just jumping into the deep end of the pool leads to unsatisfactory, band-aid solutions and unsatisfactory results.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]