ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

remove apple logo on macbook pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan poverremove apple logo on macbook pro
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 10:59:49 am

Hi all, since the macbook pro is very good looking, therefore we decided to use it as a props. But the problem is that massive glowing apple logo. I need to remove the apple logo on it as the talent opening the macbook pro on his lap.

The challenge is, the colour of the back changes as it is being open. it goes from a grey-ish colour to bright white and then back to grey again. I tried using the bit next to the apple logo to cover the logo(which usually works), but this time, unfortunately the colour is quite different due to the shadow.

I also tried to paint it out frame by frame in photoshop. It looks fine when you look at it frame by frame, but it flickers when you look at 25 fps. I just wasted 3 hours doing it.

Finally, I thought about replacing the back of it, that means I have to track it, roto his hand and fake the shadows.

I was wondering if anyone has similar experience in removing things like that. Basically a moving object, the luminosity changes and there is a shadow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: remove apple logo on macbook pro
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 12:31:29 pm

I happened to do exactly that not too long ago, but the biggest time-savers for me were a piece of grey gaf tape cut out over the logo and adjusting the shot angle to control the visibility (shadows, etc.). Then, all I had to do in post was copy another part of the screen over the already significantly reduced logo using a feathered mask and blend mode to eliminate the remaining traces (basically, the first method you already mentioned above).

If you don't have the option of re-shooting, roto might be the only other option ... especially if the actor's hand crosses the plane of the logo.

Return to posts index

alan poverRe: remove apple logo on macbook pro
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:49:09 pm

Thanks David, unfortunately re-shoot is not an option. I guess I will have to roto :(

Return to posts index

Mike robertsRe: remove apple logo on macbook pro
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 3:15:16 am

using your patch replacement method, (the one you said was ok but slightly off in color) could you not just color correct the difference? Just throw levels on there and tweak it until it matches. You may find that it corrects most of the problem and minor tweaking should do the rest.

Why don't you make a 3D layer with similar texture roughly the same size as the back of the laptop, blur the edges and roto the fingers, if there are any. Match the animation in 3D space to your shot, and set up lights to match, the color should change with the angle if the turn.

Return to posts index

JJ SeredayRe: remove apple logo on macbook pro
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:17:38 pm

Hey Alan, I was wondering if you had any luck on removing the logo? I have a very similar shot but with the Apple logo on the iPad. It is a very difficult scenario because the iPad is being moved, the light changes, and the talent's fingers cover the logo slightly.

Like you Ive tried the clone stamp brush but the flickering is unacceptable. I tried tracking and adding a portion of the iPad to the logo.

I am now trying Mocha's - Mokey in Mocha Pro 2.5. The remove feature is supposed to help but I havent successfully gotten it to remove and match the rest of the iPad (Im assuming its similar to Photoshops Content Aware replacement.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved