ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy KempHD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:48:23 am

Is there a script that will assist in converting HD compositions to NTSC 4:3? The compositions are simple shape layers, no video is involved. I could swear I have used a script in the past for this, but cannot for the life of me find one now. I seem to recall it being from video copilot maybe?

It is possible that the script I used was just for converting 16:9 to 4:3 and vice versa.

Have a client that has requested all the work we did in HD to be converted to 4:3 without letterbox. Obviously the simplest solution would be to drop it onto a 4:3 timeline and scale it up to fit full frame, but then we will have title safe issues. Since they are only shape layers, it may not be a problem to just resize my shape layers, but there are several comps and want to spend as little time on it as possible.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to go about this? Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:55:30 am

You can anamorphically squeeze or have black areas or pan and scan or redo some parts because you might need to go manual tweaking while working in the 16:9 aspect ratio. There's a new 4:3 center cut safe area visible (with the title/action safe overlays). For future reference, here's a good read.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/985426#985447

and you can batch process all this with
http://aescripts.com/batchprocessor/

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 1:48:08 pm

I really don't see the need for a script to do this:
  • Make a 4x3 comp
  • Nest the 16x9 comp inside it
  • Scale the nested comp vertically to fit the 4x3 comp
  • Render

Done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:02:21 pm

[Jeremy Kemp] "Obviously the simplest solution would be to drop it onto a 4:3 timeline and scale it up to fit full frame, but then we will have title safe issues. Since they are only shape layers, it may not be a problem to just resize my shape layers, but there are several comps and want to spend as little time on it as possible."

Unless you designed for a 4:3 title safe area, I don't think an automated solution is feasible. I'd duplicate your original 16:9 comp, use the 4:3 overlay, redesign and reposition elements as necessary, and then drop it in your 4:3 comp for render.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy KempRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:31:11 pm

Last night I went into the scripts folder and realized that the script I used in the past was the "Scale Comp" Script. It gave me the option to resize by Width or Heighth. I set the width to 720 and then went into my comp settings and changed the height to 480, chose DV NTSC and it looks like it adjusted everything almost perfectly. Everything is in the title safe. Needed a couple slight adjustments here and there, but I think this solution has worked.

Does anyone know of anything I need to watch out for here or see any danger doing it this way?

Thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

Jeremy KempRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:02:06 pm

Before using script...
1058_picture3.png.zip

After using script...
1059_picture4.png.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:19:29 pm

I hope you know for a fact that the client wants 16x9 SD Widescreen, and NOT 4x3 SD with a center punch.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: HD to SD 4:3 Comps script??
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:22:54 pm

Scale Comp is a great script. As long as you've manually adjusted any misplaced elements, you should be ok. That said, be careful about going from square pixels to non-square. Double check all your PARs.

For future reference, the COW can embed images right in your post for you if you don't zip them before uploading.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]