Keep getting black frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack BlackKeep getting black frames
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:46:39 am

Hi all,
Im working on a 2x2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB 1066MHz DDR3
After effects CS4

Now, ive got 10 quicktimes, displayed as thumbnails in one composition.
Duration is only 2 secs.
The files are on my desktop (in a folder), my ae-project as well, and i'm rendering to the same folder as well.
The quicktimes are: H.264, 1280 x 720, Miljoenen
Lineaire PCM, 16 bits big-endian signed integer, 2 kanalen, 48000 Hz (dutch, i know)

My comp settings are the same: 1280x720 square...
Rendering the same, format animation.

Its really not that shocking, AE doesnt seem to be able to render without dropping frames. Does it make any sense?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keep getting black frames
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:36:25 pm

[Jack Black] "After effects CS4... The quicktimes are: H.264... AE doesn't seem to be able to render without dropping frames. Does it make any sense?"

Everybody seems to think that H.264 is sooooo cool. Well, I don't buy it, especially for AE work. Even though AE 10 took care of a lot of problems with long-gop codecs, you've got AE 9. So the following still applies:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jack BlackRe: Keep getting black frames
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:41:59 pm

Thanks, im trying that right this second, convert to animation from QT...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved