ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

tiffen dtf/dfx, version conflict

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juan pereztiffen dtf/dfx, version conflict
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 9:36:15 am

hello! i edited a short feature in year 2005, using several dft/dfx effects under after effects. now i need to re-edit it, and have the present tiffen dft dfx suite (v. 2.0.2.1) installed under ae cs4. the fact is ae cs4 doesn't recognize any of those dfx effects that i used in 2005 (i'm talking about: Diffusion, ND Grad, Selective Color Correct, Gels and Color Grad); it says they`re "non existing".

some facts: 1) the present suite has all those effects, even with the same names (exceptions: "color grad" is now "color-grad", and "nd grad" is now "nd-grad"). 2) if i manually rebuild the settings that i used in 2005 in one of these present effects, the visual results are identical (even when the present version of the effect, in some cases, offers one or two new parameters, which i obviously don't touch). 3) i don't have anymore the original DFT/dfx suite, and i can't even remember which version it was (that whole computer was stoled in 2006). 4) this project has hundreds of instances of the mentioned effects, and it would be very embarrasing to manually rebuild all of them.

my question: is it possible to "tell" AE to "forget" the old dft/dfx effects and use, instead, the corresponding present v.2.0.2.1 ones with the same settings? thank you very much in advance!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: tiffen dtf/dfx, version conflict
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:14:16 pm

[juan perez] "my question: is it possible to "tell" AE to "forget" the old dft/dfx effects and use, instead, the corresponding present v.2.0.2.1 ones with the same settings? thank you very much in advance!"

I don't believe that this is possible to do. I'd contact Tiffen for support. Most other plugin developers are very careful to make sure that older projects will open properly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: tiffen dtf/dfx, version conflict
by on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:26:39 pm

I'm with Walter on both counts ... "I don't believe that this is possible to do" and "I'd contact Tiffen for support".

The issue is that the Tiffen DFX bundle originated with a different company (Digital Film Tools) and was somewhat re-written during the transition. That's typically the case when plugins are sold from one developer to another, which happens frequently and is the reason it's always best to keep copies of old plugin versions you've used extensively. It's generally far faster to just install an old plugin version to tweak an old project than it is to try to conform a new version to the old version settings.

You can probably find the old version available for download somewhere (maybe even DFT's website). I have copies of all my old plugins going back to the early 90s so, if you can't find it and you'll mention exactly which version you need, I could probably send it to you (without my serial number, of course ... you'll have to use your own).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]