ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

30p motion graphics to 23.976p

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Smith
30p motion graphics to 23.976p
on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:31:02 pm

I have some 3D animations that were rendered at 30p (actually technically 30.03p, for some reason.) They are all in 720p HD and I'm trying to make a BluRay out of them. The video is cutscenes from a game, so I had no control whatsoever over the rendering processes. I've got the video exported to a PNG sequence, so I have a few hundred (thousand) PNG images making up all the frames of the video. I need to convert it to 23.976 so I can put it on the BluRay in the proper standard, but I'm having issues.

I tried using the method shown by Andrew Kramer at VideoCopilot, but it's causing uglies with some of the scenes.

What I tried doing was creating a proxy out of the still frames, I rendered a PNG Quicktime at 100% quality, then I imported it and interpreted the footage to 23.976 FPS, then dropped it in a timeline. The first thing I noticed was that the footage was longer than it should have been, because of the slowed framerate, so I applied VCP's Framerate Converter preset, set the source framerate to 30 and the target framerate to 23.976, which resulted in a speed increase of 25.13% (making the final speed 125.13%.) I set it to Pixel Motion and let it prerender to make sure everything looked ok. For the most part, it did, but during scene changes (like I said, it's a cutscene, so it's not all from the same camera, it cuts between different areas,) it makes the one frame right as it cuts get all distorted. I don't think any amount of error threshold is going to fix it.

So is there anything I can do? I really want to make this into a BluRay, but I just can't get past this step. I want it to look good, I don't want to sacrifice quality or anything like that.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 30p motion graphics to 23.976p
on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:55:22 pm

use magnum to automatically split cuts into separate layers or do it manually. Neither timewarp or twixtor work on straight cuts, although they work on crossdissolves.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Kirk Smith
on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:25:02 am

So basically I should split the video into multiple layers where the scene cuts occur, then apply the 30p-to-23.976p to those layers? Will everything match up once it's all done?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:35:04 am

twixtor has a cut box you can keyframe, but I don't think timewarp does, and since you're not actually moving the layers around, just splicing, nothing should move around.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Kirk Smith
on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:39:20 am

I don't have twixtor, unless it comes with after effects CS5. All I have to work with are the default tools available in AE.

I will try what you said though, splitting the video into layers, that sounds like it should work. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:21:52 pm

[Kirk Smith] "I have some 3D animations that were rendered at 30p (actually technically 30.03p, for some reason.) They are all in 720p HD and I'm trying to make a BluRay out of them. The video is cutscenes from a game, so I had no control whatsoever over the rendering processes. I've got the video exported to a PNG sequence, so I have a few hundred (thousand) PNG images making up all the frames of the video. I need to convert it to 23.976 so I can put it on the BluRay in the proper standard, but I'm having issues."

Blu-ray also supports 720p at 59.94 frames per second. Unless you specifically need to go to 23.976, I'd import the footage, interpret it at 29.97 fps, and drop it in a 1280x720 at 59.94 fps comp.

This will simply double every frame, and it will look just like the 30p footage you have now when played back. It won't produce any of the artifacting you're seeing trying to go from 30p to 24p.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:33:20 pm

yep, i'm with walter...

unless you have some other reason for needing 24p, leave it 30p. first conform the 30.03 fps to 29.97 in the interpret footage settings for the rendered game footage, then you should be good to go.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kirk Smith
on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:41:23 pm

Won't the footage be slowed down still by going from 30 fps to 29.97fps? I know that for short scenes it will be nigh imperceptible, but won't the audio go out of sync eventually for longer comps? I'm only dropping 3 100ths of a frame per second, but after a few hundred frames it'll add up, right? Some of these cutscenes are a few thousand frame, but after 100 the audio will be 3 frames ahead, after 1000 frames it'll be a whole second ahead, that'll cause a problem.

Also, I can not for the life of me figure out how to get 5.1 audio in Encore, but that's a new thread.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:48:00 pm

[Kirk Smith] "Won't the footage be slowed down still by going from 30 fps to 29.97fps? I know that for short scenes it will be nigh imperceptible, but won't the audio go out of sync eventually for longer comps?"

Yes. You'll have to slow down the audio a little bit, but I think this will be far less disruptive to the original feel of the media than trying to convert from 30p to 24p.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]