ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserAre there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:17:01 pm

I was just wondering if there were any articles online or other resources for how best to make sure a Mac Pro is optimized for work with After Effects.

I have a Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card.

I still notice that especially lately, when working with large 1920x1080 comps with RED footage, I'll get a spinning beachball every few seconds while After Effects "thinks" about what it wants to do, and then I can move forward. This really slows me down though, considering this happens really frequently. I just started wondering if I have some sort of bottleneck somewhere that has to do with the way my computer is configured.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:32:58 pm

If your working with 4K or even 2K images (scaled to 1920x1080) you are going to want a really fast raid array to put the footage onto. How big is your footage and what is your hard drive setup?

What version of AE are you running?

Here is a good article on Ram and Processor settings.
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:47:52 am

In addition to the article that Andy pointed to, here are a few more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]