ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:17:01 pm

I was just wondering if there were any articles online or other resources for how best to make sure a Mac Pro is optimized for work with After Effects.

I have a Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card.

I still notice that especially lately, when working with large 1920x1080 comps with RED footage, I'll get a spinning beachball every few seconds while After Effects "thinks" about what it wants to do, and then I can move forward. This really slows me down though, considering this happens really frequently. I just started wondering if I have some sort of bottleneck somewhere that has to do with the way my computer is configured.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Andy George
Re: Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:32:58 pm

If your working with 4K or even 2K images (scaled to 1920x1080) you are going to want a really fast raid array to put the footage onto. How big is your footage and what is your hard drive setup?

What version of AE are you running?

Here is a good article on Ram and Processor settings.
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Are there resources online for how best to optimize a Mac for After Effects?
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:47:52 am

In addition to the article that Andy pointed to, here are a few more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]