ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Motion Paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan John3D Motion Paths
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 7:38:11 pm

Im looking to create an effect similar to the one seen in this world cup 2010 sequence

I would of liked to of used stroked paths (as Im used to using paths in 3DS Max) but as far as I can tell paths in AE do not have a Z depth(or do they?). I would prefer to stay away from 3rd party plug-ins. I thought about using lights or null objects but they do not offer the high degree of control and flexibility as a path would and I really need to get the movement to match the depth of other elements in the scene(which include live footage).

Is this effect possible with vanilla CS4?

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: 3D Motion Paths
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 9:36:18 pm

Nope. Paths or masks exist on layers, and layers are flat: 2D.

If you want 3D stroked paths you need to buy, well, 3D Stroke by Trapcode. Or is it Red Giant nowadays?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3D Motion Paths
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:36:24 am

Particular will do the trick as well. Link particle emitter to a light and move that in 3d space in AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 3D Motion Paths
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 2:37:21 pm

You can also do that with CC Particle World. It's not as powerful as Particular, but it comes with AE, so it has that going for it :)
I think this tutorial uses (or at least mentions how to use) CC Particle World, but I don't remember and I don't have the time to check it...(got a meeting I have to run off to.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnRe: 3D Motion Paths
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 2:46:42 pm

This is what I had suspected. Just checked the price of the plug-in and it is reasonable enough to not justify trying to do any work arounds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved