ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

displacement map bug?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christian kimdisplacement map bug?
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 8:16:02 am

Hi everyone, i am running into odd behaviour from displacement map.

basically, i have made a black and white animation to use as displacement map. and black is total black R0G0B0.

when i use displacement map effect using the map, the layer will "shift". i think basically whats happening is that, even though the displacement map is currently black, 50% displacement is still applied.

my understanding would be that black means no displacement, white would be full displacement. basically as soon as i apply displacement map effect, the whole layer will just shift by half the displacement.

i have looked up google and creativecow, but no luck.

anybody else run into this problem as well??

thanks so much in advance for any insight

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: displacement map bug?
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:53:10 am

If I recall, mid-grey pixels should result in no change, while white and black will give the maximum displacement in opposite directions. So, for a horizontal displacement, black (0) would give the maximum shift to the left, and white (255) the maximum shift to the right, while any mid-grey (127) pixels won't create any displacement.

To be honest though, I can never remember for certain whether it's white or black which gives the negative displacement, so you should probably go look this up!

Return to posts index

christian kimRe: displacement map bug?
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:49:05 am

Thanks matthew!

you are right, i actually figured it out last night after posting here.
was going to remove the post but since i am a new memeber, it took a while for this post to come alive, and it sliped my mind.

you are right about the mid grey being "0" transform.

i am coming from 3d animation packages, and usually white is "0", got me confused.

anyway! hope this post helps other users who might have same question.

thanks again Matthew!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved