ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping in AE and RAM cacheing the layer for faster roto

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserRotoscoping in AE and RAM cacheing the layer for faster roto
by on Aug 28, 2010 at 9:07:43 pm

I'm doing some roto in After Effects and I know there are several different methodologies. I'm rotoing some 1920x1080 RED footage, so it's pretty heavy and slow to work with. The way I've been able to work with it is by locking the footage layer and loading it into RAM, and then rotoing on a separate layer that has the eyeball switched off. This works great and is very responsive, but the only problem is that I can't drag a selection around multiple points when I use this method, because as soon as I try to drag it just deselects the layer with my mask because the eyeball is off.

I can get the sort of functionality I'm looking for by turning the solid layer on and lowering the opacity to 0%, and then AE will allow me to marquee select multiple points, but then the second I do that I lose my RAM cache of my footage.

It just seems like it is a lose/lose way to roto, because there is no way to be able to have the sort of responsiveness with large footage, while still being able to quickly work with your roto shape and select multiple points and transform them accordingly.

Has anyone figured out a better method, or is there perhaps something I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: Rotoscoping in AE and RAM cacheing the layer for faster roto
by on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:32:06 pm

Try out Mocha for Rotoscoping. You'll be happy when you get the hang of it. CS4 and CS5 has Mocha for AE included.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]