ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to do this short video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Wright
How to do this short video?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 2:24:12 pm

Does anyone recognize what effects or workflow was used to create this video? I'm particularly interested in the large bulletin board look as well as the way the camera moves and shakes in different directions and speeds. Is it Motion? After Effects? iMovie? The moves are nice... FWIW I believe it was done by an intern:

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: How to do this short video?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 3:08:26 pm

All I see is a lot of pan-zoom and blurred transitions. You could do this in Aftereffects or just about any pro video editing program.

I would just put all the images on a giant canvas in Photoshop then use my video editor to pan and zoom all over that page.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Paul Wright
on Aug 28, 2010 at 3:15:35 pm

That covers it in broad strokes, but what about the subtle camera jiggle, etc. There are tons of different zooms and different varieties of blurs and things, and this was done by someone not knowing much about post production. To keyframe all those moves by hand and make them all unique would take tons of time. I'm guessing they used a template, just wondering what it was? I'm particularly interested in the smooth camera jiggling...almost as if a camera was mounted to the end of one of those kids claw games that moves via joystick and tries to grab the stuffed animal...

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 28, 2010 at 3:34:41 pm

Drop the oversized grid layer in a standard sized comp (ex: 864 x 486), add a null, parent the big grid layer to the null and animate the null. Enable motion blur. Render.

[Paul Wright] "To keyframe all those moves by hand and make them all unique would take tons of time."
The animation for this piece isn't very complicated. What takes time on something like this is the pre planning prior to animating.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Aug 28, 2010 at 5:36:46 pm

"..and this was done by someone not knowing much about post production."

Explain, please.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Paul Wright
on Aug 28, 2010 at 5:55:01 pm

I was told it was done by a novice, and I meant it as a compliment. I could have chosen my words better. I included the statement merely to frame my initial question to help pinpoint what software might have been used. I didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone recognized this as "Poster Slideshow Template #3" from some suite...

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Aug 28, 2010 at 8:01:55 pm

Hi,

You might want to take a look at the Suretarget script from VideoCopilot, which is a nice easy way to get smooth camera moves between set points and, I believe, allows you to specify a bit of overshoot and wiggle on the moves. Alternatively, as others have pointed out, you could just animate a null around but keyframe a wiggle expression on the position to get a slightly wobbly version of your move.

P.S. Darn, Clint was 20 seconds faster posting than me!

Return to posts index

Clint LeMaire
on Aug 28, 2010 at 8:05:29 pm

LOL, not thats scary :o)

Return to posts index

Clint LeMaire
on Aug 28, 2010 at 8:01:34 pm

Paul,

I think this individual used an AE plug in called “Sure Target”. You can find it for free at Andrew Kramer’s web site http://www.videocopilot.net. It’s basically a camera control plug in that lets you assign null objects as “Targets”, then the camera will move sequentially between targets. It also gives you the options to add camera shake, roll, adjust focus and add an inertia type effect to the camera. I’ve used it before that the results are very similar to the video posted. Of course you can do everything you see without it, but it’s a much faster work flow.

Clint

Return to posts index

Paul Wright
on Aug 28, 2010 at 8:28:21 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone for the candid and detailed responses. Gotta love the Creative Cow community. Matthew and Clint--BRAVO! You just saved me a ton of work :)

Paul

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:21:16 pm

For out-of-focus effects I'd have a look at Frischluft's Lens Care. I wouldn't say sorting out the animation of the given animation is THAT tricky, but as stated requires some planning and prepping. I'd recommending sorting out the "giant canvas" in AE rather than photoshop as the image to pan over from PS would be HUGE and could likely cause render-issues in a lot of apps.

Lens Care: http://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]