ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

fussy type ae to fcp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Crankfussy type ae to fcp
by on Aug 28, 2010 at 12:54:16 am

Hello Everyone,

I've created a type animation in ae (no secondary program like illustrator being used). Rendered the type animation out at 1920x1080HDtv 29.97, animation. Nothing is scaling up..or has a scale change.

When the editor puts the type animation into fcp, he says it appears fuzzy...anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be happening?

Thank you!

H

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: fussy type ae to fcp
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:04:42 pm

does the file look good when you look at it in quicktime...? you probably won't get realtime play back, but if you just look at a single frame, does it look ok?

if so, then ask the editor to look a the file in their quicktime player so they can see if they see the fuzziness in qt. if they don't, then you'll need to know more about what they are doing with the footage...

fcp is almost certainly transcoding the footage to a lighter bandwidth codec when they are importing it. it would help to know what the codec is, and you may be able to provide them with that same codec.

you might also ask them to send you the converted file from their capture scratch folder. then you could see what they see and would also see exactly what codec and footage specs they are using... this assumes that you have the same quicktime components that fcp is using -- apple does have several qt components that are only installed with fcp. the editor can provide the codecs to you, but they would be mac only.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Heather CrankRe: fussy type ae to fcp
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:17:56 pm

Hey Kevin,

Thanks so much for the reply.

The type looks great in the qt I rendered. The client sent me what the type looks like in fcp and it's soft...and also the edges of a lower third are a little pixelated.

The client is exporting in fcp at 1920x1080i, square pixels, 25 fps, XDCAM HD4221080p2

I'm on a mac, so that wouldn't be a problem. Do you think the codec is the problem?

Thank you !

H

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:44:35 pm

it could be the codec, though xdcam 422 should hold up fairly well.

the fact that some of the edges look pixelated would make me think that the footage was rendered progressive and they have imported it as interlaced, or the other way around.

also, you didn't by chance send them sd versions for approval, that may have been used by the editor by mistake? i've seen that happen with a few of my proofs...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 1:51:10 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I double check on the progressive v.s. interlaced....

what does "sd" mean?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 2:43:00 pm

standard def... though, i was meaning a lower rez version since, typically you might render a half rez version of a comp for approval purposes, rather than an actual sd version.

also, sometimes people will want a version of all graphics on tape (often sd beta variety) as a failsafe in case there is a problem with the files and they just have to get it done...

anyway, if you did deliver low rez versions for whatever reason, you might want them to verify that they are using the correct hd versions, since adding lower rez graphics to an hd timeline would result in softer, pixalated graphics.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 2:50:37 pm

oh oh oh...got it. Nope, full res, animation lossless render......

Thanks though...hopefully the editor will work with me to get this resolved.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: fussy type ae to fcp
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:02:32 pm

[Heather Crank] "The client is exporting in fcp at 1920x1080i, square pixels, 25 fps, XDCAM HD4221080p2"

I go the FCP-AE-FCP route all the time. When I import a file rendered in AE, it frequently looks God-awful in those little pea-shooter FCP viewers, but just fine on a video monitor.

So how is the client viewing these files?

Then, of course, there's the whole interlacing issue. 1080 is upper field first. Your footage should be interpreted as such, and you should be using the same thing in your render settings an AE's Render Queue.

Then, I'm not aware that XDCam shoots 1920x1080. They typically shoot 1440x1080. If the client is plugging your 1920x1080 footage into a 1440X1080 FCP edit timeline, it wouldn't look goodon an FCP viewer. It would look fine on a video monitor.

FCP's intended to be used with video monitors. It tells lies when using just the viewers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:08:26 pm

Thanks Dave!

So when I render out my final animations, set upper fields first on the field render, right? I'll give that a shot and see if it helps!

Thank you, I really appreciate all the help. Really want to make this look perfect.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: fussy type ae to fcp
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:21:06 pm

Yeah, well, if the client doesn't have a video monitor, you may still get complaints.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]