ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

extra grade for web or same as tv?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidssonextra grade for web or same as tv?
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 10:53:45 am

Hi I wonder if you use your grade for televsion for the webb or do some tweaks to make it look more the same on the webb? In case you do an extra grade. What settings do you do in ae. Do you check the "match legacy after effects quicktime gamma adjustments" box and use an special workingspace?

I think that grades mabe for telvision looks to washed out in quicktimeX and but in quicktime pro with activate color... with final cut studio checked it looks to dark.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: extra grade for web or same as tv?
by on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:30:46 pm

If we do content for TV I tend to sort the "specific grade for web" when converting it for the web. This I tend to do in Epsiode and as you state to avoid the "washed-out look" I increase the gamma and saturation a bit.

If we do content specifically for the web I've tended to work with it as normal for TV - edit in FCP, grade in Color but when finalizing the files in AE we do a final color correction there (again, increase contrast somewhat, fiddle with the saturation).

It's not uncommon we film on film, HD (1080p) or RED (2K in Post) so finalizing our "web-masters" in AE can be imperative as scaling down large files can introduce a lot of interesting issues with the image.

But yes, the above is an issue I'm not sure will be sorted any time soon. Apples move to 2.2 gamma has at least brought OSX and Windows more "on par" in terms of CC.

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: extra grade for web or same as tv?
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 5:18:42 am

It sounds like you should be using color management. The whole point of color management is that you do your work and get things looking the way that you want, and then you can just render and export with the right color profiles and have things look right in various export formats.

See "Color management and color profiles " for an overview.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved