ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects vs. Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris KaempfeAfter Effects vs. Final Cut Pro
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:25:09 pm

I was just wondering how After Effects compares to Final Cut Pro. Im thinking about getting an editing program and wanted to know the pros and cons of both so i can get the most bang for my buck.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeApples vs. Oranges
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:48:01 pm

You can't really compare the two, because they're intended for two different uses!

Adobe Premiere Pro compares to FCP. After Effects compares to Apple's Motion.

The phrase "most bang for my buck" shouldn't be the criterion by which you make your decision. It should be guided by the type of footage you shoot, the type of work you do, and the types of projects you're expected to deliver.

For example, you may decide to go with Adobe's Creative Suite Production Premium, which is comparable to Apple's Final Cut Suite. You may decide that you want the incredible speed of Premiere more than anything else, so you go with CS5. After you get the software in the mail, you suddenly remember, "Doh! All my biggest clients run FCP!" In this case, you've pretty much hosed yourself; there isn't a whole lot of common ground between Premiere and FCP.

So: tell us what you're doing now, what you want to do in the future, and maybe we can come up with a recommendation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: After Effects vs. Final Cut Pro
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:50:34 pm

they are the softwares included in different categories. AE is a compositing, FCP is a video editing software.. May be you should compare FCP with premiere.. but in my opinion, FCP is more powerful than premiere. If you want to compose sequences, you may choose AE. but if it is about budget, you can buy adobe's production premium. 7 softwares are included that package, AE-premiere-PS-Ai-flash-encore-sound booth.. and it's only 1699$, FCP is 999$.. so it is important what you want to do, after that you can decide clearly..

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

James McCavanaRe: After Effects vs. Final Cut Pro
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 10:02:47 am

After Effects and Final Cut Pro are completely different applications.

Final Cut Pro is used for telling the story. It is capable of wonderful effects and compositing and has an array of plug-ins that can enhance the visuals, but it pales in comparison to AE.

After Effects is used for making exciting and stunning visuals, and completely dominates over Final Cut Pro in this sense. AE is capable of a vast array of effects, and is limited by your imagination. However, you would not use After Effects to edit together a story... that is Final Cut's domaine.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved