ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating an effect on a guitar

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingCreating an effect on a guitar
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:29:38 pm

I was wondering if I could get some advice on recreating an idea I have for a project. Basically its a close up on the knobs of a guitar and the guitar knob is being turned up to 11. and we need to add in the number 11 to the guitar, and we were thinking of something like the guitar burning into the wood of the guitar to form. What are some recommendations on how to recreate this burning number kind of a effect on to the guitar?

THANK you!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating an effect on a guitar
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:43:07 pm

One way to go about it is to create the textured 11 in PSD ( from an image that has numbers or letters burned in wood, or even create the shot yourself ) with alpha. Bring that in AE, animate masks ( as the mask moves from top to bottom, it should also grow right behind the reveal line from center to the edges ) revealing the numbers and add some smoke (fx footage library or shoot some yourself - a smoking match over black will do). Comp over the guitar.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating an effect on a guitar
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:49:40 pm

Play with Roughen Edges on the number. You can shrink it down and grow it out and all kinds of stuff.
You will also want to play with blending modes for the number layer.
Also, some smoke footage over top of it wouldn't hurt either.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved