ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1960's TV look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary darren1960's TV look
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:16:12 pm

Hi apologies if there are similar posts, I've tried quite a few suggestions already from searching, but nothing seems to get the kind of result I'm looking for.

What I'm looking to achieve is to make some footage appear it was broadcast during the 60's/70's/80's and then taped onto VHS.

Examples of the effect can be found here-

I understand the type of panning shots, fades, tricks, camera work and tempo can partly achieve this.
But there's something missing. Ive been playing around with the hue/saturation & blur. But there's something about the image which I can't quite crack, a kind of specific blur around objects, and maybe something to do with the fps? I am from a graphic background, so understand the function and stylist aspects, but its more technical aspects which I'm lacking known by people who have worked in video for a long time!

Only test footage has been shot so far, so I am open to suggestions, but this will be done in PAL on DVX100ae, edited in FCP, and post done in After effects.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:14:46 pm

I Googled "tube video camera":

Return to posts index

gary darrenRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 10:50:27 am

Ive already tried this tutorial and doesn't really give the the look I'm after.

Return to posts index

Mike ZimbardRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:24:27 pm

I am a very big fan of practical effects wherever possible because sometimes there's no substitute for the real thing and no matter how much you tweak it's still not going to look "real." I'd suggest using the camera techniques you're describing and make sure you shoot at 60i since everything was interlaced video back then. Wardrobe, props, etc all will play a part as well to make it look properly dated. That will give you the right frame rate and look but it won't feel old and crappy enough. As a final step I'd lay off to VHS and then recapture the footage. Should give you exactly what you want and will definitely be authentic. Good luck.

- Mike

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:07:03 pm

the lilly allen fair one looks shot at 30fps non-interlaced with 1/60th shutter blur. You can deinterlace 29.97i footage to get 29.97p then use reelsmart motion blur or timewarp 100% with shutter at 180, to add more vector blur back in.

super furry animals looks 29.97i interlaced with color correction.
You can try my inglorius bastrds preset to get that skin tone.

Also, you're right, the edges do look a little soft. You can use my
DCT edge softener to duplicate that effect too.

Return to posts index

gary darrenRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 31, 2010 at 9:52:25 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm working in pal. Would you recommend staying away from 24p and working in 50i then?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 1960's TV look
by on Aug 31, 2010 at 5:22:38 pm

There was mostly 60i. 50i would look close without messing around with framerates. 24p is a film look which shows like the twilight zone had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved