ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

a text list on a vertical path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim cascarina
a text list on a vertical path?
on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:45:35 am

Hi I need to wrap a list of word around a circle,
I thought using the old mask path trick would do it but apparently not!

it forces the type to align on the path (as if the mask is the line in a book)

I've tried vertical text and all the options that I can think of.
I can't believe its not already an option.

have i missed something?

cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: a text list on a vertical path?
on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:15:11 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Your description didn't quite paint in my head exactly what you're after.
Perhaps you should try sketching it up in Photoshop.

Taking a guess as to a direction to point you however: You might try adding a text animator and playing with the rotation.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

jim cascarina
on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:33:24 pm

Ok,

A is what I want to do
B is how i thought it should be possible
C is what happens when you apply the mask as a path. and there does not seem to be a way to effect a list of text using a vertical rather than a horizontal path.

cheers

Jim

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 26, 2010 at 2:35:20 pm

This is how I would do this. You need your text set up so they are on seperate lines in the text block. Add an opacity animator, set it to subtract and make the opacity 0. Change the Units to "Index" and Based On to "Lines". Add and expression to Start "index -1" and to End "index". Now duplicate your text layer until all lines of text are on it.

Create a null and move it to where you would have your circle center. Parent all the text to null, except the first layer and change the null rotation by say 5 degrees. Now unparent the 2nd line and repeat until you do this for every line of text. Now parent everything back to the null and animate the rotation property.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.thinkck.com

Return to posts index

jim cascarina
on Aug 26, 2010 at 2:47:19 pm

That's a bit of a heavy duty work around:)
If you where going to go the seperate layers route and do it by hand you could just offset the anchor point of each layer and rotate them to get the circle then group with a null to animate.

Thanks for your reply.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:05:25 pm

You're right that was some extra work with the parenting unparenting...

But in the same vein(using the index trick to isolate one line of text), you could set up the first layer, like before. Offset the anchor point to circle radius. Then add an expression to rotatation "index*3" Then duplicate the layers. Then you just need a null to animate them.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:54:24 pm

Actually had one more suggestion. Instead of a expression to rotation "index * ???" Create a null object first and add a angle slider control. Then add your expression to rotation "index *thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Angle Control")(1)"

Then after you duplicate the layer, you adjust the angle control to change the spacing/angle of the layers from each other.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

jim cascarina
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:00:59 pm

Thanks again,

As this was mid Job I just went ahead and did by hand, I was just surprised that it wasn't possible to control a block of text with a mask vertically.

it seems so obvious.

anyway thanks again next time I'll try that expression :)

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]