ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandon BaldaufAnimating in after effects
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:15:08 am

Hey, I am a animator and have been using adobe flash for years to animate my stuff. Recently I have been moving a lot of my work into After effects to impove quality and add effects. I was dabbling in the idea of using after effects to do the entire thing since usually file size and quality get skewed due to moving so much between programs.

Does anyone know if animating in After Effects is viable, or know any tutorials? I know you can to the equivlant of motion tweens in after effects but I move 2-d characters on a 3d plane often frame by frame if nessicarry. I guess close to a lot of the stuff you can find on (which is almost exclusivly in flash) can anyone help me with listing some pro's and con's?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating in after effects
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:18:28 pm

Is this like traditional cel animation, or are we talking about something else?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Animating in after effects
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:20:25 pm

Um. Yes. It's viable. Otherwise it's be useless for motion graphics.

Read the AE Help on the basics of keyframing and try it yourself.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Animating in after effects
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 6:19:37 pm

yeah, it is viable. but in my opinion, keep using flash for characters and then export it as a video format or image sequences(I perefere this) with alpha then use AE for backgrounds, video effects, focusing, depthing etc.

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Louis FifthRe: Animating in after effects
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:33:27 pm

hi Brandon,

I have been animating using after effects all the time and it is really straight forward. I have never liked flash and never go my head around it. In after effect you can work with photoshop and illustrator without an issue. If you create something in photoshop for example, work with it in after effect and change your mind about the colour or whatever, you can just go into the photoshop file change it, save it. then in AF reload the file and there you go. working frame by frame is also possible too using keyframes

Hope this helped

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved