ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

memory issue when rendering in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Oberster
memory issue when rendering in AE
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:56:03 pm

Running After Effects CS4 on Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB DDR3 RAM, Version 10.5.8 Leopard.

I'm having a render issue with After Effects. My project is very graphics heavy, and every time I try to render out, I get this message:

After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 10000 x 5625 image buffer.
You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory & Multiprocessing Preferences dialog box, try increasing the RAM to leave for other applications, and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option in the Media & Disk Cache panel.
( 7 :: 39)

From what I've read so far in my research, it would definitely be a good idea to upgrade to 64-bit Snow Leopard so AE will recognize more RAM, and upgrade to 16 GB of RAM. Does this sound pretty accurate?

Unfortunately, that isn't an option right now for a number of reasons, but could happen in the future. I've gone into the Memory & Multiprocessing settings and tried a couple of configurations, including leaving 3GB for other applications, and leaving 2GB for other applications while directing the rest of the RAM to 4 different processors. I've already set up a caching folder as suggested by the error prompt. Perhaps I just don't understand how the Multiprocessing works, but nothing seems to be fixing the problem.

Also, since trying to fix this problem, I've been experiencing slower render times with other projects in AE.

Can anyone help? I've run out of options.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: memory issue when rendering in AE
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:14:20 pm

Sorry, but since you have such a small amount of memory, you'll just have to dispense with using multiprocessing at all. You just can't use it.

If your image buffer problems persist, I recommend prerendering that big layer somehow, especially if you've applied any effects to it..

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Oberster
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:18:41 pm

Thanks Dave.

I think for now I'm just going to try replacing that big layer with something different. As far as my rendering speeds go though, with my available RAM and processors, do you have any recommendations for what memory settings might be best for me, or what a good amount of RAM to purchase in the future would be? I've read 2GB per core, which would put me at 16 GB. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again,

Joe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:36:49 pm

I'm stuck with AE 8 on my machine at work, and if I want to upgrade to AE 10 at home, I have to do it out of my own pocket. Once I get family finances squared away, I intend to get a brand-new 64-bit machine, and start with 24 GB RAM, if that's any indicator for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2010 at 7:19:22 pm

I should probably also add that if were my machine, I'd leave 1GB for the OS and use just one core. I would also make double-dog sure that AE is the ONLY application running when I render.

You render in AE? No internet for you. No iTunes for you. No soup for you. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]