ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can AE instance effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christian kimcan AE instance effects?
by on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:59:35 pm

Good morning community!

long time reader first time poster : )

i have been looking for an answer to this question for a while, and had no luck. so thought i could just ask the question.

basically, if i have few layers where i want to have same effects applied to. can i [instance] an effect? so when i change that effect, the change gets applied to other [instanced] effects?

just that things like color corrects, i find having to hunt down the same effects and change the settings manually or copy paste, which is a hassle when you have lot of layers to go through.

thank you in advance for any help!!

looking forward to any response : )

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:08:00 am

[christian kim] "basically, if i have few layers where i want to have same effects applied to. can i [instance] an effect? so when i change that effect, the change gets applied to other [instanced] effects?"

When I need to do something like this, I just pick whip the dependent parameters to a single master set.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:59:55 am

One of the best things about AE is there's a bunch of ways to do most things so you can choose the approach that's best for different situations ... there's Walter's way (just wanted to say "Walter's way"), as well as a few other options...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/887131
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/887132

Return to posts index

christian kimRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:09:21 am

Thanks Walter, David.

I have thought of both methods, pickwhipping and adjustment layers.

however, i found there are times when i really wish i could just copy an effect to other layers while maintaining its instanced relationship. so i could modify one effect and others will be modified as well.

like in 3ds max (for anyone who uses it), you can copy modifiers from one object to others as either a copy or an instance. when instanced, modification made to one instance gets applied to all others.

which gives users ability to mix and match for example.

but it seems there is no "built in" way of doing so in AE.

again thanks for your replies : )

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 11:48:11 am

I figured you might be looking for a more literal way of "instancing', but unless something like that has been implemented in CS5 and I haven't heard about it, AE doesn't have that capability. Perhaps it would be a good feature request for Adobe ... might be a little difficult to manage in the typical AE workflow, but worth a shot.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:25:53 pm

A node-based compositor vs. a layers based compositor. A difference emerges!
I think it would be possible in a future version of AE though... I just think you'd have to do without keyframes on any parameter. Well, you could have keyframes, but they would be at the same time for all layers effected.

I dunno, I just pickwhip.

Here's the feature request page.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

christian kimRe: can AE instance effects?
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 8:58:18 pm

thank you David, Michael for your input.

its good to hear from other experts that its not possible as of yet, then i can focus on coming up with workaround or requesting : )

i totally understand that it is difference between node based vs layer based.

regarding keyframes, you guys are right, as keyframes directly control the parameters... hmm i guess i will have to think this through.

well anyway, for a quick fix + workaround, i was hoping [presets] could bridge the gap.

like forexample, i apply a curve effect, change parameters, save to preset. then on other curve effects, i apply the [preset], then the second curve effect remembers what preset its "linked" to, then when the preset is modified, it updates it self to the preset.

however, currecntly presets are one off thing which just overrides the parameters, but do not retain the relationship.

maybye really easy way around this is to implement some kind of [sticky preset], where when preset is modified, the effects update them selves. easy fix really (for simplicity, keyframe has to be instanced as well)

anyway, thank you all for your input, as i said, just learning that AE does not have built in instancing alone was very beneficial!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]