ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

long ram previews not playing in real time - ae cs5/ 64bit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Matts
long ram previews not playing in real time - ae cs5/ 64bit
on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:54:24 am

I am having an issue where long ram previews will not fully playback in real time.

I am just trying to check a series of 1080p/23.976fps renders - about 45 seconds worth - which mostly loads into ram but only about 8 seconds of the ram preview will playback in realtime.

I am on a i7 iMac w/16g of ram, ae multiprocessor turned off.

anyone else having this issue? could it be limitations of my systems bus/ram speed vs a mac pro?

thanks

Return to posts index

Bartek Skorupa
Re: long ram previews not playing in real time - ae cs5/ 64bit
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:02:08 am

I experience similar thing on CS4 and the solution is to set the proper video preview. I don't know if this is your case, but try to go to preferences -> video preview and set it to computer monitor only, or if you preview on an external monitor - set the resolution to be the same as your comp. This way After Effects doesn't have to render and playback two different resolutions at the same time.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Christian Matts
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:11:11 am

yeah, i forgot to mention it was happening after i changed the zoom so it was 100%. I also was trying to preview it full screen - computer monitor only, no external monitor.

I've never had this problem to this extent in cs4, only minority when the zoom wasn't an even 50 or 100 % or if i was previewing on a broadcast monitor via a aja card.

Return to posts index

Christian Matts
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:14:51 am

I wouldnt think this would be the issue, but I also had Itunes playing and quite a few tabs (20-30) open in safari.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:08:34 pm

[Christian Matts] "I wouldnt think this would be the issue, but I also had Itunes playing and quite a few tabs (20-30) open in safari."

Au contraire, you're adding quite a bit to the burden on your machine's processors, when their primary focus should be previewing high-definition video.

Doing what you describe above is very poor practice. Very poor indeed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dester Wallaboo
on Sep 3, 2010 at 9:01:48 pm

i7 iMac is certainly fast enough.

Does it play realtime after it goes through the entire sequence once?

For instance.... I'm on an 8-core Mac Pro with 12GB RAM... and there are many times when I build a lengthy RAM preview that it won't play real-time for the first pass.... but after it goes through it once..... all subsequent passes are RT.

Return to posts index

Christian Matts
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:44:18 pm

I dont seem to remember it ever playing back. after it played through the first time, it seemed to get worse it think. I would also need to double check that the project wasnt set to 16bit color which i guess can cause ram preview issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]