ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to reset all settings in AE CS5?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michelle pate
How to reset all settings in AE CS5?
on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:29:36 pm

I thought I was KIND OF getting the hang of AE, but it's doing these really weird things with my text and everything. When I add a a text layer, and I type in what I want, I can't even see anything. I can highlight it and tell its there, but I dont see any letters. I go to transparent view and see that the text is black, so that may be the reason why I can't see it. one problem: i don't even know how to change the color. When i first installed AE, I just went to layer>text and there was always a window that let me change the color, but that window doesn't show up! I don't know what I did. I'm just trying to create a 3d shatter effect with my text and even when i put a shatter layer over the text, it doesn't work. There are also many other setting that weren't before, but now, are different.

And yes, I tried the 'reset workspace' option, didn't work. I tried the 'new workspace', didnt work. I've tried 'delete workspace', didn't work. I've even tried reinstalling AE, and everything was still messed up.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to reset all settings in AE CS5?
on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:24:06 pm

window>character will bring the character panel back.

also, here is the link to the ae cs5 online help file:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/index.html

it's much faster to look up basic ae functions there then to wait for someone to respond here...

if you still want to reset the ae prefs hold Alt+Ctrl+Shift (windows) or Option+Cmd+Shift (osx) while launching ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ralph Smart
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:13:40 pm

I have the same problem? my name is Ralph from London, i can't even see my text, did you find out how to reset adobe after effects?

Help?

thanks Ralph

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:43:43 pm

From AE's Online Help, following an investment in 15 seconds of time searching for the term Preferences:

"To restore default preference settings, hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting."

AE's Online Help is very.... well, helpful:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/index.html

And if you REALLY want to learn AE, this could be the best money you'll spend for many months to come:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ralph Smart
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:47:56 pm

thanks a lot

but i tried that and i still cannot see my text when i type it,

Very strange

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:55:03 pm

You need to scrutinize the character settings in the Character panel. I'll bet there's some setting that's WAY out of whack. For example, you might have the Superscript -- used for exponents, etc. -- set to something like 1400 or more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ralph Smart
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:57:49 pm

thank you for you swift response

i try to figure it out, its so complicated

Return to posts index

bruce gionet
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:47:25 am

It's two years later, now, did you guys ever figure this out? :)

Every once in a while I check this discussion out it seems, and no one knows yet... It's kind of amusing, actually; it's become sort of a hobby:)

Most of the time I work on this MacBook Pro with an extra monitor so I don't care, I shuffle windows around a lot and have saved workspaces. but when I run it on just the laptop screen, it's FUBAR. Makes me crazy (and terribly unproductive). With most apps, there's a file or two somewhere to just trash, and boom, back to factory specs, right? And I have only one good hand, so that key combo stuff is problematic for me to begin with. So anything new? I have time between stuff and no extra monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]