ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice for WIP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Lyons
Advice for WIP
on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:50:27 pm

Hey AE Forum,

I'm new to graphic design so my knowledge isn't as deep as I'd like it to be. I seem to come across a problem after creating in Cinema 4D of which effects to use in AE to give my video the spice it needs. Below is a video I made for a contest, and while I do like it, it is missing something(s). Is there a website that teaches commonly used effects used in AE to spice up precreated footage? I added some VC effects to the video. Let me know what you think and where I can improve.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Advice for WIP
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:23:21 pm

[Nick Lyons] "I seem to come across a problem after creating in Cinema 4D of which effects to use in AE to give my video the spice it needs."

I don't think that the video needs spice. Technically, what you have is pretty good, although I think the text is a little hard to read.

What this needs is meat. It needs to communicate something about the brand or the identity of "The Game Station." It needs creative -- a concept, a story that tells us a little bit about "The Game Station," keeps us interested in watching the clip, and builds a relationship between the viewer and "The Game Station."

To continue the food metaphor, when you have the meat, selecting the spices becomes a lot easier. You will choose spices that reinforce, enhance, and complement the flavor of your dish. To come back to motion design: time, space, shape, motion, color, and light -- they are all elements which are critical to the integrity of the piece, and not just razzle-dazzle dropped on top to mask the hole where something is missing.

[Nick Lyons] "Is there a website that teaches commonly used effects used in AE to spice up precreated footage? I added some VC effects to the video. Let me know what you think and where I can improve."

Your work will not stand out if it's just like everyone else's.

As I said before, you've executed well -- and if you start with stronger creative, I think you'll produce very strong work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nick Lyons
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:28:11 pm

Thanks so much Walter, now that you mentioned it, I do see where the holes are and will work on filling them. I appreciate your response and the time you spent with it!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:54:54 am

Sounds good, Nick. I'd love to see what you come up with. Good luck with your contest!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Nick Lyons
on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:06:56 am

Hi Walter,

I took your advice and wrote down step by step what I wanted to do before I created the piece and I must say I'm happy with the outcome.

Let me know what you think or any criticism would be great.

p.s the game station liked my first intro video and wanted to replace their current intro with mine. Their youtube channel reaches over 80,000 per video. Very exciting!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 26, 2010 at 6:13:00 pm

Nick -- looking good, and congratulations on your recognitions.

Now I've got a feel for the Game Station as a place where all kinds of video games come together. I could easily see this as the idea that kicks off a larger campaign.

Please drop me a line sometime if you freelance with AE or C4D at walter at keenlive.com. I'd love to have you in my address book when the need arises.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]