ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best workflow for video clips in AE <-> PPro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean David
Best workflow for video clips in AE <-> PPro
on Aug 19, 2010 at 11:17:37 pm

I am relatively good with Premiere Pro but new to After Effects. I am assembling a video wall with 24 clips in AE. I want to avoid rendering out 24 pieces of video from Premiere and then having AE import them. Plus, I want to be able to do my color enhancing later and be able to edit the clips in Premiere again if possible.

Perhaps that isn't the best workflow, but what is the most efficient way to select and insert footage into AE without rendering everything out? I've looked at several dynamic link tutorials but none of them so far have explained using anything but separate files imported at the right length (how fortunate life would be if all the pieces were handed to us on a platter like that!).

I tried copying and pasting a subclip from PPro to AE as was suggested in another post, but that didn't work, the entire clip came through. Thanks for your help.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HP 64 bit, Adobe Production Premium CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

Grant Swanson
Re: Best workflow for video clips in AE <-> PPro
on Aug 20, 2010 at 3:24:08 am

If you import the Premiere project into After Effects, all your trimmed clips will be in the After Effects timeline in the same order and for the same length of time as you have them arranged in Premiere. From here you can do whatever you want with them. Does this help?

–Grant Swanson
For talks and tutorials on After Effects, color correction, and film-making visit:
http://www.VideoApex.net

Return to posts index

Sean David
on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:36:35 am

My hope was to continue to create the clips and update/color correct them in Premiere Pro because that is what I am used to doing before I moved up to the Production Premium suite. However, I see that Premiere and AE share filters in many cases.

What I did was create a new sequence, place the clip I wanted on the timeline and do whatever I wanted to it. Then copy the sequence from the Ppro bin into the AE bin and everything goes with it. The only thing I could not achieve is a dynamic link between the two, any changes made in PPro after the copy/paste do not reflect in the AE project.

However, I can use the color and other effects in AE to do what I need and I see that I can edit the length of the clip there too. Not quite as nice with e.g. the slip tool in PPro etc. but workable. If I am missing anything, let me know.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HP 64 bit, Adobe Production Premium CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:40:44 pm

[Sean David] "I see that I can edit the length of the clip there too. Not quite as nice with e.g. the slip tool in PPro etc. but workable."

I'm not familiar with Premiere Pro, but you can easily perform a Slip edit in After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Moritz Schefers
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:08:08 pm

I think the problem (for me) to cut footage in AE is, that i have no fluid preview with audio. For this reason i prefer cutting and arranging clips in premiere and then link it to AE.

Return to posts index

jan glatzel
on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:31:19 pm

you mean, you want to import an project from premier to ae. but in pieces?

when you import an project, ae shows one layer, but when you doubleclick on it you can see the parts you worked with in premiere.

hope i helped you out....

give me a response if it helped you.

c-ya..

Return to posts index

Moritz Schefers
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:12:15 pm

If you import a premiere sequence by dynamic link from AE (file > dynamic link > import ppro sequence) you just have the one layer. If you double-click on this in the timeline or browser, it just shows up in the preview window, but not with all its different clips i think.

Return to posts index

Pap Prior
on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:19:55 pm

This is an old thread, but I'm having same issue:

I've got dozens of sub clips created in premiere pro that I want to bring into AE in several different projects.

I can't drag them in. If I select them on the timeline and copy and then paste into AE I get the entire clip without correct in/out points for the sub clip (even though the name of the sub clip is used).

It seems like a simple thing to me: I've got a AE template I'm using for multiple athlete introductions and I want to incorporate video from each one which I've already created as subclips, but I need those video subclips to have the CORRECT in/out points when sent to AE.

To make matters worse, when in AE it references video by frames, so I can't even just look at time in/out and move there easily.

How do I fix this?? I -should- just be able to click on a subclip and drag it over, it's embarrassing that adobe doesn't see that given how closely AE and PPRO are supposed to work together.

Return to posts index

Sean David
on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:53:15 pm

Hey there,

Well, if you are just trying to achieve a one-way PPro -> AE transfer of clips, then an easy way is just to place all the subclips on a single sequence. Then copy and paste the sequence from the project panel in PPro to the the project panel in AE. All the subclips will be there in the right length and you just have to copy/cut and paste them where you need them.

If you want to keep the link going between the two programs, then this approach will not work, you have to right-click on one or more clips in the timeline and choose 'replace with AE comp'.

Sean

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HPrem 64 bit, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]