ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Would the new i7 15" Macbook Pro run after effects easily??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Walters
Would the new i7 15" Macbook Pro run after effects easily??
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:25:08 pm

Hey everyone I am tired of my computer and thinking about getting a new one. I was wondering how well this Macbook Pro could hold up in programs such as Final Cut, Adobe After Effects, and maybe C4D. These are the specs of my current computer:

CPU : AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4000+ (dual-core)
64-bit technology support with AMD64 technology
(2.1GHz, 2x512KB L2 cache, 2000MHz system bus)
Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
Memory : 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory (2 × 512MB)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 slots total, 0 DDR2 slots available
Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics
Up to 128MB shared video memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade

And these are the specs of the Mac I want to get:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

I am most likely going to install RAM to the mac after I purchase it to save money.. I was also wondering what are the benefits and disadvantages to both Macs and PCs. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Would the new i7 15" Macbook Pro run after effects easily??
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:29:51 pm

If you're hell-bent on getting a laptop, trick that sucker out with RAM and get an external hard drive.

Even then, you'll be hampering yourself on complex AE projects, because AE 10 easily can use 24GB RAM all by itself. That's twenty-four GIGS o' RAM.

Personally, I wouldn't get a laptop for AE work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler Walters
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:59:15 am

Well I really don't need it for that complex of work.. Mainly short films involving some VFX in after effects and maybe some work in C4D. Plus I'm only 15 so a 24gig ram computer is not really in my budget.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2010 at 9:48:31 pm

Well, you're not going to be able to put 24GB on a Macbook Pro. The maximum is 8 GB, and you'd better do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean David
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:33:11 am

I'm using an Asus G73JH-X3 for Premiere Pro editing, and some simple AE work so far. I must say it has been a pleasure so far. Some more system updates would be nice but it is relatively new. The two potential drawbacks are the fact that it won't support the new 'mercury' Adobe thing (not missed it that I know of yet) and no firewire ports, so you need to use one of the extra 320/500GB internal drives for real-time editing of HDV and other heavy bandwidth media, USB2 handles SD DV AVI etc. just fine on an external however.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HP 64 bit, Adobe Production Premium CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

Bartek Skorupa
on Aug 21, 2010 at 9:03:33 am

I am working on several Mac Pros - some with 32GB RAM, some with 16, some with 8. I also have a laptop - Mac Book Pro 15 2.53 GHz, 4GB of RAM (not the latest one) with AE CS4 installed on it. No external drives whatsoever.
The difference in performance is huge, but it doesn't mean I don't do some simple stuff on my laptop. I do. I'm using it on set, at home to do some tests, to record tutorials and so on.
I wouldn't worry much and simply work on a laptop. When some day you have a chance to do something on more powerful machine - you'll see the difference. You will also see the difference in price.
There is a simple question - how much is this difference in performance worth for YOU... for YOUR purposes. Check the price and see if this is the amount YOU would pay for better performance.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Tyler Walters
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:43:47 pm

I have changed my mind.. I am going to buy a PC instead because of the cost. Now I need to figure out which one to get.

Return to posts index

Sean David
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:36:17 pm

Well, I don't know which brand to suggest there but I can tell you that my i7 920 Quad Core with 1GB Nvidia 275 runs relatively smoothly. PC's are constantly updating so this may be older but I would no consider anything less than a Quad Core, Win7 64 bit and 8 or more GB RAM. Premiere Pro uses certain Nvidia graphics cards for special higher speed 'mercury' processing and AE may do the same. The cards are listed on their site. I don't have one, but you can ask around on how the difference in performance is with one. Have fun.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HP 64 bit, Adobe Production Premium CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]