ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exported xdcam from AE different bitrate in FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik EliasonExported xdcam from AE different bitrate in FCP
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:49:00 am

Hi folks,
I'm editing xdcam footage in FCP 6.06. Some of it I treat in AE using Automatic Duck to transport it over from FCP. I export the treated footage from AE with the same settings I have in my FCP timeline: XDCAM EX 720p25 (35 Mb/s VBR).
Now to my issue.
With the treated clips back in my FCP timeline, playback gets jerky or even stops every time those clips comes in turn to play. I see that my original files have the bit rate 4.5 but my clips from AE only got 1.5.
Is this why it won't play correctly, and where did this change of bit rate take place? In AE I don't find any settings for bit rate.

Thankful for any clues. //Erik

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exported xdcam from AE different bitrate in FCP
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:03:16 pm

[Erik Eliason] "I'm editing xdcam footage in FCP 6.06.... Thankful for any clues."

Well, there's MY clue! In FCP, you should consider XDCam as an acquisition codec only. You shouldn't edit with it. As you Log & Transfer (or Capture), you should convert it to ProRes 422. You will have far, far fewer problems if you do so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik EliasonRe: Exported xdcam from AE different bitrate in FCP
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:56:59 pm

Yes, ProRes does the magic. The project was already logged when I got into this project but I rendered the clips from AE in ProRes 422 and now all runs smooth. Funny though with the bit rate change..
Thanks for your reply Dave!

//Erik

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exported xdcam from AE different bitrate in FCP
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:52:15 pm

[Erik Eliason] "Funny though with the bit rate change.."

If you're talking about the difference between XDCam and ProRes, it's perfectly logical. As I mentioned, XDCam is an acquisition codec ONLY. The reason: it compresses the bejeezus out of the video signal. Thus, it has a lower bit rate... and on recompression, it's EXTREMELY lossy.

ProRes, on the other hand, uses very light compression. It's far, far better at preserving image quality... and to do that, it takes a higher bit rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]