ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Interpolation or Camera Track...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew donaldsonInterpolation or Camera Track...?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:28:02 pm

Hi Guys/Gals,

I just thought Id throw this out there to see what you would do in this situation...

I need to make a 15s TVC for a company that makes glues for flooring, and tiles, etc.
Its gonna be fairly straight-forward; our actor is the handy man using the company's products. We are shooting him on green screen, then creating a 3D scene to composite round him (in AE).
Ive done a few of these before and they liked it, but the difference here is the director wants to track with the camera - the previous shots were all pretty static.

Basically what im asking is if there are any good plugins for AE that will interpolate the sccene if we shoot from two angles, or is it better just to match the camera track with AEs camera?

The director was thinking a camera move of about 45 degrees, sort of from side-on round to behind the actor. And I have heard Smoke/Flame can interpolate such a scene. I maybe thought a morphing plugin might work?

Im on Mac Pro, dual xeon, 8Gb RAM, CS5 suite, FCP...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Interpolation or Camera Track...?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:31:32 pm

if the camera is actually moving, then you'll need to matchmove in 3-D.
I'd recommend syntheyes for ease of use and price. You should definitely try the demo and do a full test with all your gear, then when the actor shows up, it's smooth sailing. If you are using static perspective shots, then even AE can fudge 2 types of exported 3-d objects because there's only 2 angles of any particular object.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Interpolation or Camera Track...?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:53:48 pm

Go to the following web site. Go as soon as you can:

There is some freebie stuff there that you find very valuable.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Interpolation or Camera Track...?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:12:05 pm

You may also want to look at the new CameraTracker plugin from The Foundry. It's $250 for a full seat, or you can rent it for about $2/day.

Just make sure you have good track marks on the green screen!

[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

andrew donaldsonRe: Interpolation or Camera Track...?
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:11:46 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the best way is to match move it. Thats kinda what I was thinking of doing, but it was the director who put interpolating-morph ideas into my head.
I had a wee peek at syntheyes and at first glance it looks pretty awesome, Its maybe a little more than i need for this shoot, but worth it for the future no doubt.

@ Dave: that hollywood camera work website is awesome! thanks heaps.

@ Paul: Im having a look at that plugin now...

Thanks for all the suggestions. This place is real nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved