ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PAL to NTSC conersion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Gallasch
PAL to NTSC conersion
on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:35:13 am

Hey guys,

i've got a big problem. I need to convert a short movie from PAL to NTSC, and the result should be as smooth as possible.
Before i start telling you more about my situation, let me tell you that i have been reading a whole bunch of different threads here on the cow and on other boards/sites, but i could not find a (good) solution.

What i have:

- a short film
- in 25p (09:36 min)
- in 23,976p (10:00 min)
- AE / Premiere / Vegas / Avid MC /

what i need
an NTSC DVD for a festival

My questions would be
Is there a way to do a good looking NTSC to PAL converison for a DVD with the tools i have available?

I heard (or read) somewhere, that there are in fact NTSC DVDs with 23,976 Footage in them. Is there such a standart?

Thanks in advance for your answers, i know i'm like the 500th person to ask this question, but this is a serious problem because i have a deadline in few days to complete this conversion.
Your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again,
Jan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: PAL to NTSC conersion
on Aug 18, 2010 at 3:55:19 pm

[Jan Gallasch] "What i have:
- a short film
- in 25p (09:36 min)
- in 23,976p (10:00 min)
- AE / Premiere / Vegas / Avid MC /

what i need
an NTSC DVD for a festival"

The limitation is the term, "NTSC DVD", but have no fear! You have a 23.976 file! You can simply create a 24p DVD (yes, you can make a 24p DVD), and just about any standalone DVD player can add the necessary 3:2 pulldown to create 29.97 video.

A PAL DVD is 720x576, no matter if it's 4x3 or 16x9. An NTSC DVD is 720x480, no matter if it's 4x3 or 16x9: that's your target resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jan Gallasch
on Aug 20, 2010 at 11:06:13 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the answers.
For the last two days i have been trying out Twixtor, with mixes resluts. It is possible to get a good looking ans smooth playing conversion, but that involves a lot of keyframing work to set up different parameters for different shots or even for different parts inside of one shot.

But i guess that's what it comes down to if you can't afford hardware conversion.

@ Dave: If the DVD player ads the pulldown, how smooth is the result?

@ Sean: Thanks for the tipp, i'm gonna look for a trial verison of DVAtlantis and then i'll give it a shot!

Jan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:33:56 pm

[Jan Gallasch] "@ Dave: If the DVD player ads the pulldown, how smooth is the result? "

Ever watch a Hollywood movie on DVD? Those are 24p DVDs. You tell me how smooth it is.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jan Gallasch
on Aug 20, 2010 at 3:00:58 pm

Actually, i did ;)
But since i live in Germany (and have my whole life), i watch them at 25 fps. I have never ever even seen an NTSC DVD Player... (as sad as that may sound)

Return to posts index

Sean David
on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:27:06 am

I work with PAL and convert to NTSC, it isn't too hard.

Size is simple, you will just crop/lose the extra pixels off top and bottom to get from 576 to 480. Width is the same.

You can do the conversion several ways:

-use the method proposed by the previous post regarding going straight to DVD with it, not sure of that myself but sounds good if it works for you

-adjust the frame rate only, essentially map frames from 25 to 29.97 or 30 e.g. in VirtualDub or similar, or re-interpret it in Premiere. Your length will change (will get faster) and you will have to deal with audio length changes separately, including pitch, etc.

-convert the footage using a high-quality conversion tool, I have used DVAtlantis quite successfully, read their settings and test it on a small clip first and compare at full size. If I have access to the original project, I take titling and text that tends to convert less cleanly out and convert just the video portions, then drop the titles back over the timeline before going to DVD.

If you get stuck, reply.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HP 64 bit, Adobe Production Premium CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]