ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Referenced Projects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bslaybaughReferenced Projects
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 6:40:32 pm

Does anyone know if AE has the ability to reference projects similar to the same way a 3D model is referenced in the CG world? (i.e. if any change is made to the model, the referenced model updates across the board).

I am working on a project with another AE artist and he is basically "rigging" the interface of this device for me and I don't want to have to re-import his project and re-link everything any time he makes a change. Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Byron

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Referenced Projects
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 7:55:32 pm

This question comes up every couple of months or so in some form or another. This is the first time I've seen a 3D model analogy, however.

Sadly, the answer remains the same. There is no way for multiple users to work on the same AE project simultaneously. I say that's a godsend, because each save would overwrite the previous save.

Case in point: I like using precomps, but another guy in our department likes lots of layers in a comp. If we were working on the same project, we'd negate each other's work, spend more time spinning our wheels than working, and eventually strangle each other.

Life is too precious to obsess about reaching an unattainable goal. AE remains an application designed for a single, solitary user. Although your idea has merit, AE can't do it and I don't recommend even trying it.

It's far better to work in separate projects, with clearly-defined goals and responsibilities. If the two users are geographically distant, use the same organizational structure -- e.g. footage gets put in an identically-named folders, in the identical relative file paths to the project file.

That's about the best you'll get.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Referenced Projects
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 8:53:30 pm

[bslaybaugh] "I am working on a project with another AE artist and he is basically "rigging" the interface of this device for me and I don't want to have to re-import his project and re-link everything any time he makes a change. Thoughts?"

Like Dave said, there's no such thing as external reference in AE.

But given the rigging/animating split in your workflow, here's a suggestion: have your rigger build all your controls as expression controls in a null object, and have him or her link the keyframeable properties to those controls.

Any time the underlying rig is tweaked, you'll have to re-import into your own AE project, but you'll be able to copy and paste the keyframes from your old controls properties onto the new ones.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]