ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Applying Timewarp to Still Sequence issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Russell
Applying Timewarp to Still Sequence issue
on Aug 17, 2010 at 5:19:46 pm

Hi,

I saw someone apply timewarp to a sequence of time lapse stills and the effect was awesome. I'm trying to replicate, but when I apply time warp to my image sequence, half of the images disappear when the effect renders out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jake

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Applying Timewarp to Still Sequence issue
on Aug 17, 2010 at 5:41:33 pm

[Jake Russell] "...half of the images disappear when the effect renders out..."

First thing to check: make sure Open GL is turned off for rendering. In many instances, it simply does not work properly in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jake Russell
on Aug 17, 2010 at 6:48:46 pm

Dave,

I went to After Effects > Preferences > Previews > and then unchecked "Enable OpenGL"

I restarted the program and tried again. No change.

Let me explain more. The images that I am losing are at then end of the sequence. So, if I render and play the sequence, I'm getting my time lapse, but when I add the timewarp, I lose from the last ~40-50% of the timeline. When I altered the speed from the default of 50 to about 20, I lost even more of the timeline.

I read awhile back that timewarp works because it "creates" images in between the two images that the effect is being applied to. Therefore instead of (for example) the original 10 images, there is now 10 plus 9 more (one additional that goes in between the 10). Is this true?

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 17, 2010 at 6:52:20 pm

timestretch it then precompose that and then u can drag the precomp to be longer and access the timestretched video. If you don't precomp the footage first, it will cut off. Perhaps you haven't extented the composition to match the longer length.

try pre-compose again and selecting 'move all attributes to new composition' option allowed me to adjust the time and control where in the clip the footage would slow down.

Here's an example of a super slow motion yet all frames are fully retained. Keep in mind, it was created for a timewarp 18fps and has timestretches in the output, so adjust accordingly in your project.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XS4UKHG3

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Jake Russell
on Aug 17, 2010 at 7:52:13 pm

Chris,

I thought I followed your steps exactly, but no luck. Here's what I did:

1. Took sequence assets and dropped into Composition 1.
2. Right clicked on layer > Time > Time Stretch. Then, I doubled the time of the timeline
3. Layer > Pre-compose > Leave all attributes in 'EXT going to outside location...'
4. On Composition 2, I went into Composition Settings and changed duration to be double the length
5. Then, I applied time warp to layer in Composition 2
6. Rendered and still lost half the images at the end

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 17, 2010 at 8:08:08 pm

I meant timewarp, not timestretch, that's a typo.

Don't use timestretch. I only did because I was speeding up THEN slowing down again. If you import your footage, then precomp it.
Extend the precomp all the way. Then apply timewarp to the extended precomp, it should work. And you don't need to render out the thing to see if it won't work.

1. what is your fps interpretation for the image sequence?
2. What is your timewarp percentage?
3. What is your composition pixel size?

I'll upload a project to your settings. My project may be way too confusing if you are new to AE.

Return to posts index

Jake Russell
on Aug 17, 2010 at 8:46:34 pm

Chris,

What does "Extend the precomp all the way" mean?

1. playback is 24fps. each frame is imported (based on preferences) as 0:00:00:03:00 Base 30.
2. Timewarp percentage is whatever the Default is.
3. Composition Pixel size... if this is what I think it is, than the answer is: square pixels. frame size: 1920px x 1080px

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:15:13 pm

ok a few caveats.

1. I don't know what color management you wanted, so I left it blank so it will handle the pixels default at 16bpc which timewarp supports.

2. I left the timewarp at default 50% like you said so that means you will get slow motion, but time lapse is fast over 100% so I leave that to you. I also recommend timewarp vector detail 100 and filter set to extreme. Use error threshold to fix warping errors.

3. I set Base 30 non-drop 1920-1080 square pixel 24p comps that will work for up to 3 hours, the max of AE. 23.976p is easier to work with than 24p, but I leave that up to you.

AE CS3 timelapse.aep
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PSWBH95T

Return to posts index

Jake Russell
on Aug 18, 2010 at 5:11:53 pm

Chris,

I'm doing something wrong and it's probably right in front of my face. I took the project you gave me. Imported my sequence of images and selected Force Alphabetical Order. I then took the image sequence and dropped it into the apply timewarp effect composition. Then, I applied the timewarp effect to the layer. I then precomp'd the image sequence layer and hit play. same thing that's been happening has continued to happen. Would it be helpful if I recorded a screencast for you to see what I'm doing? Thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:26:17 pm

right click replace "image sequence as 24fps" then it will automatically work. Dropping it into the "apply timewarp effect" will not work because it needs to be precomped in the composition called "precomp". Sigh*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]