ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keying window with reflection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan poverKeying window with reflection
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:48:58 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on setting up a green screen.

We are going to shoot someone sitting by the window. We are thinking about putting a green butterfly behind the window since we need to replace view from the window. But we want to keep the reflection of the interior on the window at the same time.

What would be the best way to do it?

We are going to shoot with RED in 4K, doing the post work with After Effects CS5. Is it possible to do it with keylight. or I need Monet for that? The plasma keying tutorial on Monet's website looks very promising. I wish I have the money for the software.

Regards

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying window with reflection
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:02:33 pm

Depending on how much action occurs in the shot, you might consider shooing a reverse angle of the subject through the window. You could then easily fake the reflection.

If you think you can pull it off action-wise, don't forget to remove the window to shoot the subject & background for the reverse-angle shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

alan poverRe: Keying window with reflection
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:39:15 am

Thanks Dave. Not much action is going to happen. The actor will be sitting on the sofa reading and turn his head looking out of the window once in a while. we are not very concern about the reflection of the actor. we are trying to get some reflection of the interior on the window, so when we replace the view outside. it's going to look a bit more realistic with the reflection. I am just wondering if that's possible to do without shooting the reflection separately because we are think about shooting the reflection against black separately and using blend mode later in after effects.

I have been searching for things like that on the net. the closest thing I have found so far is this youtube video:

according to the comments of that video, I should be able to do that just with keylight. but to be honest, I am not very good with that. So I am wondering is there something I should do, prepare or pay attention to when I am setting up the green screen on set so I don't have to spend next 3 weeks sitting in front of the computer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying window with reflection
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 2:47:23 pm

[alan pover] "...we are think about shooting the reflection against black separately and using blend mode later in after effects...."

Given your more detailed description of the shot, I agree. In this case, you should shoot the black reflection shot. Then the green chroma key shot and REMOVE THE GLASS FROM THE WINDOW. You don't want two diffrent reflections on thE glass!

[alan pover] "I should be able to do that just with keylight. but to be honest, I am not very good with that."

You can, and you should start getting to know Keylight a whole lot better starting right NOW. Run the keylight tutorials found on The Foundry's web site. Run tests using the same kind of footage you plan to shoot. Ignore this at your peril.

[alan pover] "I am wondering is there something I should do, prepare or pay attention to when I am setting up the green screen on set so I don't have to spend next 3 weeks sitting in front of the computer."

Then do this shot using a locked-down camera. No camera movement. It's the one single thing you can do to make your life easier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]