ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems after noise removal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Jensen
Problems after noise removal
on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:08:23 pm

I know noise removal is a difficult process and the video still won't come out too good. So with those expectations when I started, I played around with AE built in removal, then tried Neat Video's removal and the difference was hard to notice which brings my question here. If a 3rd party plugin doesn't look any better is it possible it might be something else?

Some info, footage captured from XH-A1 from component into Ki-Pro @ ProRes 422. Dropped into PPro as native .mov file, did cutting then sent to AE to keying. 1st time keying w/ Ki-Pro footage, absolutely amazing compared to what I had been working w/ (HDV). Anyways, there is still a lot of dancing noise on the subjects black suit after any type of removal. The noise itself improves a lot w/ the removal, but like I mentioned earlier, there is just a lot of dancing on the black suit. Hair, skin, etc, are all ok, just the suit is causing problems.

I have tried the alpha matting technique and results aren't any better because from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is my source is grainy/noisey because of subject being too lowly light and or gain was set too high, which I think the gain probably was.

Any help is appreciated.

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problems after noise removal
on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:30:47 pm

[Drew Jensen] "...footage captured from XH-A1 from component into Ki-Pro @ ProRes 422. Dropped into PPro as native .mov file, did cutting then sent to AE to keying.... my source is grainy/noisey because of subject being too lowly light and or gain was set too high, which I think the gain probably was"

Then you should give that photographer a dope slap! The number one thing you can do to get a good key is to light it well.

Unless you have no other option, you need to re-shoot. If you can't possibly reshoot, and you've already used two noise suppression plugins with unsatisfactory results, you're pretty much stuck with what you have.

It's a sad waste of a perfectly good Ki-Pro, if you ask me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Drew Jensen
on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:37:37 pm

Thanks Dave. That's basically what I had figured, but I know some of you guys sometimes have little tricks up your sleeves, but I'll just have to live with it. As far as the Ki-Pro, I know, from what I heard it was absolutely a delight to work with.

Thanks again Dave.

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:28:36 pm

[Drew Jensen] "I know noise removal is a difficult process and the video still won't come out too good. So with those expectations when I started, I played around with AE built in removal, then tried Neat Video's removal and the difference was hard to notice which brings my question here. If a 3rd party plugin doesn't look any better is it possible it might be something else?"

I like Dave's suggestion of reshooting -- it's the best way to get good results. I think Neat Video one of the best noise removal effects around, but it's not magic!

One note on Neat Video -- a lot of first-time users don't read the instructions. If you just drop the effect on your footage and render, you will be disappointed. You must build a noise profile. Some fine-tuning by hand may also improve your results.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 17, 2010 at 1:18:14 pm

AE's Remove Grain effect can be very useful, since it samples the existing noise and basically applies its opposite. (I used to demo for the developer.) Locate your noise samples manually on the dark areas, and make sure Temporal Filtering is on. After that, tweak.

Here's an AE help article.

Let us know if it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]