ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

selective sharpening method in AE CS4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Iverson
selective sharpening method in AE CS4?
on Aug 14, 2010 at 3:29:05 am

In Photoshop, when I do selective sharpening manually, I usually duplicated a layer, used the find edges filter, adjusted that, and then select- load selection. Although I see a find edges filter in AE CS4, I don't see a way to select, load selection like in Photoshop. Is there a workaround? I really want to do some manual selective sharpening in AE CS4, like I do in Photoshop, but I am unable to find a way. Please help. Thanks, Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: selective sharpening method in AE CS4?
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:18:08 am

this does local contrast with levels. I think it works extremely well, and best of all, it's free! You can also see how it would work with sharpen as well as unsharp.

Restores highlights and shadows for hd'ry look
Saturation that works like photoshop's vibrance
Local contrast that works like Topaz adjust

ae aep cs3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7T8L00DR

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Aug 14, 2010 at 9:13:37 am

Maybe apply select edges on an adjustment layer and mask out the parts you do not need to be affected...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Aug 15, 2010 at 12:08:33 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the info. How do I go about using this? I can load it as a project, but not sure how to proceed from there.

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:31:03 pm

just right click replace footage on a.jpg sequence then in final comp, controls have exposure and detail restore sliders, local contrast layer has radius, sat layer has color finesse hsl master sat that can be tweaked from the sat protect alpha comp.

Return to posts index

Jon Iverson
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:56:22 pm

Chris,

Further assistance if I may. When I open your project (blow out fixer backup 2.aep) in AE CS4 v9.0.0.346, I get three boxes I must first select OK to get past so your file will open:

"After Effects: this project must be converted from version 8.0x247 (windows) and will open as an untitled project. Standard Definition pixel aspect ratios will be updated for compatibility and improved accuracy. The original file will be unchanged."

"This project contains 1 reference to a missing effect. Please install the following effect to restore this reference. ("SA color Finesse 2")"

"After Effects warning: 1 file is missing since you last saved this project."

I don't really know what the significance of the first two messages are, but I am trying to use this with HD footage (1080p). I am assuming the last message about "1 file missing" is what you are referring to about replacing.

When it opens, I am not quite sure what needs replaced with my footage, which is a 1080p AVI file. I can right click on just about anything in the "Project" box and I am able to replace but I am not sure which ones need replaced. Just a guess would say any or all(?) of the italicized headings? In other words, am I replacing "a.jpg", and the two "original source deleted" categories with my footage?

Please correct me if I'm right or wrong and what is the next step for adjustment?

Sorry, this is a totally new approach for me and I am trying to understand the procedure here.

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:32:11 pm

It must be converted from version 8.0x247. That's fine. --ok

Standard Definition pixel aspect ratios will be updated --ok

This project contains 1 reference to a missing effect, "SA color Finesse 2",
weird that you don't have that effect but don't worry, I put the hue/saturation effect just above it.
Just click its fx box to on and tweak the master saturation wich is protected by the sat protect alpha

"After Effects warning: 1 file is missing since you last saved this project." "a.jpg" yes that is the only box you replace with. the two "original source deleted are old and not used, so ignore those.

The next step is that it will give you a default setting of a little of each ability, highlight, contrast and saturation. I originally thought that I would give you an idea how to go about this, but didn't realize that you were new to AE, I apologize for my presumption. It's up to you to know what aspect ratios you need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]