ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Moving paint brush

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mei Mei YipMoving paint brush
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:38:37 am

I am new to After Effect CS5 and am looking forward to playing around and getting to use all its features. Unfortunately I have an urgent DVD home project to do.
I saw this effect on You Tube:

It's a white piece of paper and a hand with a paint brush paints on the paper. Instead of seeing paint you get to see a picture underneath. Cool.
But how do I go about doing this?
Any help would be most grateful.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Moving paint brush
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:51:51 pm

Pretty much all you need is a bunch of paint strokes created in Illustrator (for example) that are revealed by animated masks. Make a black & white render of the animated strokes and then use that as a matted for the footage layer. Of course the animation needs to follow the brush as it moves- also you will position the strokes created in Illustrator to follow the brush movement ( you can also distort them with the mesh warp).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Jason ByfieldRe: Moving paint brush
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:07:51 am

I'm pretty sure that the brush strokes were actually captured in camera using black paint and then in AE the painting footage was layered above the revealed footage. By changing the transfer mode of the painting footage to "Screen", the footage underneath should reveal itself through the black.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved