ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A reverse "Set Proxy" command?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew GrovesA reverse "Set Proxy" command?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 2:22:05 am

In some work, the client has images from that we're using, but they're only the low rez/watermarked version (the proxy, not to confuse it with the AE proxy).

After I'm done the project, it would be nice if I could simply point to the high rez file and let er rip.

So, is there a way to designate a file that's already being used in a project as a proxy for a high rez that you won't actually have until the project is ready to render?

I assume most people have a workflow like this:

Use free proxy of image
Get client approval
Purchase hi rez version
substitute high rez for low

You can't just use "replace footage" because it won't retain the formatting. I realize that if I already had the high rez version that I could create a proxy, but I only get to start with the low rez.

Any Idears?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: A reverse "Set Proxy" command?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:18:42 am

You should be able to use the normal proxy features to do what you're describing. Read this page.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Matthew GrovesRe: A reverse "Set Proxy" command?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:22:51 pm

I understand how to use proxies in the normal way, but this is different.

Normally, you start with a hi-res footage and you make/set a proxy of a low-res version for faster processing. I get that.

If you *start* with lo-rez, though, your footage will usually be scaled way up. If you try to trick AE my setting a proxy using the high-rez file, it's pixelated because it tries to "preserve" the scaling of the original (lo rez in this case) and then reduces it to fit the original dimensions.

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: A reverse "Set Proxy" command?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:36:35 pm

This may not be the smartest way to do this but, since the stock video previews are often in formats that AE doesn't really like anyway - flv or h264 - I recompress them using another codec and, at the same time, scale them up to the final HD dimensions - that way the hi-res versions can just be dropped into the project in place of the lo-res versions.

Return to posts index

Jason ByfieldRe: A reverse "Set Proxy" command?
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:15:11 am

You don't even need to transcode. Just drop the proxy footage in a comp, scale up and then precompose so that AE is tricked into thinking it's scaled at 100% instead of higher. Then you can just replace the nested comps with the high-res footage using Alt + drag and drop. Don't forget to select the layer you are replacing first though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved