ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian YoungKeylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:04:25 am

I used Keylight to key a subject. All looks perfect until the subject pulls out a bright object. That object (yellow) looks horrible.

When I clip black, it gets clipped. If I scale back on clipping the black, other parts of the key look bad.

So far, I have a Keylight with a Simple Choker.

Can anyone help without seeing the footage? I'm hoping this is a common enough issue because I can't post the footage for confidentiality reasons.

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:27:22 am

Hi Lillian,

I too have had this problem when the talent held up a yellow legal pad against a green background. It didn't look like it would be a problem because, to my eye, the yellow was very different to the green. To Keylight, though, the RGB values were just too similar, and I had to rotoscope it in the end. Not the advice you want to hear, I guess, but could be the only option.

One other possibility could be to get a good key for the rest of the footage, then place an additional copy of the footage on top, mask out the yellow object (animating the mask if necessary), and figure out a key for this object alone.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:04:00 am

Thank you, Simon. I ended up using Primatte Keyer Pro and Key Correct from Red Giant. Of course, these are my personal plug-ins, and I am trying to avoid doing that in case the client doesn't have the same ones. So your advice is valuable when I'm on a machine without 3rd party plug-ins.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your solution, and am happy to know I'm not the only one who's come across that issue :)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:02:38 am

As Simon has indicated, rotoscoping is often necessary in a color keying job, as is the application of the keying effect(s) with different settings to different parts of the frame.

In fact, I don't think that I've ever seen a real keying project that could be done with one instance of a single keying effect and no rotoscoping.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Danny HaysRe: Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:29:46 am

If your using CS5, you could try the Premiere pluggin Ultra. When it was stand alone I was able to get a good key on almost anything, and it may give you a tighter color selection, and leave the bright object alone. Worth a try. Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Jason ByfieldRe: Keylight: Bright Object in the Scene
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:22:14 am

If you're worried about plugin conflict, render out this scene with a lossless codec that can carry an alpha channel (TGA, Animation), and replace it in the comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved