ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

simple motion tracking issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel ruedasimple motion tracking issue
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:41:01 am

Hello everyone.

In this video, The character is saying a quote that I want to write on the wall she is in front of, as if the quote was part of the movie. After she says it, the camera makes a sudden movement to the left. I want to motion track the quote so that it will stay put on the wall when the sudden movement begins...

The problem is that there is not enough contrast for me to put the motion track in so motion tracking is not working...I contrasted the film and it didnt work as I expected...I also tried frame by frame, but as you can see it doesnt look very good...

is there any other way i can make this text stick to the wall?

is motion tracking the best way and im doing it wrong?

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: simple motion tracking issue
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:32:56 am

Hi Anna,

There is no other way to get the text to stick to the wall than tracking. Some shots just don't work, for whatever reason, so you may have to resign yourself to ditching the idea for this particular project: nothing looks worse than a bad track.

However, you might try doing a bit of manual tracking, nudging the track point by hand when the automated track gets bad. This doesn't always work, but if you turn on motion blur for the text layer you can disguise a bit of bad tracking. You aren't limited to one track point either. If another point looks more 'trackable' at a certain part of the video, do another track for that point. Apply all your results to multiple nulls, then parent the nulls together in a sequence (e.g. null 1 has good track data up until 5 seconds, null 2 has good track data after 5 seconds, so delete any overlapping keyframes and parent null 1 to null 2).

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: simple motion tracking issue
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:33:18 am

Also, if you have Mocha you may try to track the wall behind with that.
But what Simon suggested my work- try adjusting by hand the track you have, it does not look that far away.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

daniel ruedaRe: simple motion tracking issue
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:56:09 pm

Yeah...Its hard to find a highly contrasted point in the video...thanks guys, I´ll try that

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved