ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders CarlssonLinear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:53:04 pm

I'm trying to learn about linear light compositing in After Effects and think I have pretty much understood it, but one thing I still can't figure out.

I work in a 32bpc Linear sRGB comp with linear Open EXRs. Everything works wonderful. When compositing is done, I want to do color correction. I've read that color correction is "best" in video space (gamma corrected) so therefore I make a new comp with my master comp and apply a Color Profile converter to my comp. It becomes very bright and washed out (double gamma I guess), so I turn off the "Display compensation" and I'm back to normal. I do color correction and everything seems to be working - until I export the quicktime master. It is bright and washed out. I have a double gamma somewhere. In the export setting I set sRGB.

Any ideas to this would be very appriciated!

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Linear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:37:25 am

Could be a common issue with QT.

Open your video in QT and select Window, Show Movie Properties. In the dialogue, select Video Track, then the Visual Settings tab. Right down at the bottom left you will see the Transparency dropdown. select Blend and push it up to 100%. Then select Straight Alpha. Close the dialogue with the X button in the top right hand corner (or whatever the Mac alternative is).

You might not see any change right away, but scrub the playhead a bit and you should notice that the contrast comes back and you have rich blacks again.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Linear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:03:47 am

Why aren't you just using nearly automatic color management features instead of using the old and manual Color Profile Converter effect?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Anders CarlssonRe: Linear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 6:23:55 pm

I do use the color management features to work in linear light. But when my compositing is done, I want to work in normal video space to do my color correction and so on. From what I understand my only option is to use the color profile converter. Am I mistaken? Still haven't been able to solve this.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Linear light -> "Video" -> Quicktime - washed out image
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 6:42:21 pm

Yes, you're mistaken. The Color Profile Converter effect is not necessary. That effect pre-dates the automatic color management features in After Effects and is only retained for a few exceptional cases.

The only time that the Color Profile Converter is necessary is if you're previewing on an external video monitor; in which case you can use this effect to convert to the monitor color space for previews.

See this page for information about doing work in a linear color space.

You're overthinking this. Just enable color management, make sure that your input files are interpreted with the right color space and that you're outputting to the right color space, and linearize the working space if you want to work in linear light.

It seems that everyone who tries to use color management gets lost in the weeds trying to do everything manually. Please read this paper for the step-by-step details:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aftereffects/articles/color_management_workflow...
After that, you should see that there's not much that you have to do.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]