ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg FergusonAE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:55:59 pm

Last night I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and have had problems with AE CS5. Any render I try causes AE to freeze. I have opened projects from last week which were fine in OSX 10.5.8 - that will not get past 6 frames when I try to render now with OSX 10.6.4.

I'm on a Mac Pro Quad Intel Xeon 3 GHz, 9 GB ram, ATI Radeon X1900 GFX Card. I have turned off multi processing, I am purging during render after 30 frames - What do I try next?

Another thing that has popped up is I have FXFactory installed, and there seems to be an issue with my GLTools.plugin file. I have tried to search for this on the forums, but have not had any luck yet.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render
by on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:29:13 pm

Upgrade installations are tricky; a lot of posters here on the COW had problems like this after upgrade installs. It's usually better to erase and install, then re-install applications.

You might try resetting the AE preferences, or even un-installing then re-installing AE and plugins before taking more drastic measures.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:08:11 am

We've seen lots of problems with Mac OSX v10.6.4 and OpenGL. It's not just affecting After Effects; it's affecting Cinema4D, Steam (gaming software from Valve), et cetera. I'm staying away from Mac OSX v10.6.4. My Macs are running Mac OSX v10.6.3 and Mac OSX v10.5.8.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 2:38:12 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "We've seen lots of problems with Mac OSX v10.6.4 and OpenGL. It's not just affecting After Effects; it's affecting Cinema4D, Steam (gaming software from Valve), et cetera. I'm staying away from Mac OSX v10.6.4. My Macs are running Mac OSX v10.6.3 and Mac OSX v10.5.8."

Todd, is there a place where Adobe publishes recommendations on point releases for Mac OS X and Quicktime?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:05:03 pm

> Todd, is there a place where Adobe publishes recommendations on point releases for Mac OS X and Quicktime?

No, but that's not a bad idea.

Return to posts index

Gregg FergusonRe: AE CS5/Snow Leopard - Freezes during render
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 1:04:03 pm

UPDATE: After Effects is running stable for now. I still had a copy of CS3 on my computer. So I uninstalled both CS3, and CS5, downloaded and used the Adobe cleaner tool, then reinstalled CS5. All good for now, but there seems to be some sort of RAM leak in my machine. I can't have AE and FCP running at the same time or else FCP gives me a "Out of memory" warning forcing me to restart FCP. This does not happen when AE is not running.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2010 at 11:35:30 pm

> All good for now, but there seems to be some sort of RAM leak in my machine. I can't have AE and FCP running at the same time or else FCP gives me a "Out of memory" warning forcing me to restart FCP. This does not happen when AE is not running.

Do you have a lot of memory reserved for other applications in the After Effects Memory & Multiprocessing preferences?
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:33:04 am

Apple has posted a fix for some Mac OSX v10.6.4 issues with graphics cards.

Let us know whether this fixes the issues that were interrupting your After Effects work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]